Posted by John on Friday, April 24, 2009 at 2:45am.
1. When comparing the sizes of stars, our Sun is:
a.) the largest star discovered to date
b.)one of the larger stars discovered to date
c.)medium size as compared to other stars
d.)one of the smallest stars discovered to date
My answer: c or d
2. What information can astronomers gain from the colour of a star?
a.)the star's temperature and composition
b.)the nebala the star came from
c.)the stage of developement the star is in
d.)the direction the star might go in next
My answer: a?
3. Which of the following is not true of high mass stars?
a.)They use up hydrogen relatively slowly.
b.)They last only millions of years.
c.)they collapse in a supernova.
d.)Their core may contract further into a neutron star.
My answer: Both a and b. But im only allowed to choose one answer. I'm confused.
- Astronomy - drwls, Friday, April 24, 2009 at 6:42am
2. a is the best answer, but you do not get composition from color. You need a spectrum (intensity at many different wavelenght).
3. For some high mass stars, c, and d may apply. Almost all will last 100 million years or longer
These answer choices indicate the teacher does no understand the subject very well.
- Astronomy - Count Iblis, Friday, April 24, 2009 at 10:44am
3 asks what answer is not true, so a) seems to be the correct answer.
- Astronomy - drwls, Friday, April 24, 2009 at 11:44am
Sorry, I missed the word "not". Thank you
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- physics - mc030-1.jpg Two stars are bound together by gravity. The larger star ...
- science - An H-R diagram? Answer Are Is a map of the position of the stars ...
- physics - A star of mass 2.0 1031 kg that is 4.8 1020 m from the center of a ...
- Science 5 - What are the characteristics of globular cluster stars? A.no stars ...
- science - What makes the subject of star formation so difficult and complex A It...
- Astronomy help! - The average speed of stars relative to the Sun in the solar ...
- science help - An astronomer sees two stars in the sky. Both stars are equally ...
- science help PLS - An astronomer sees two stars in the sky. Both stars are ...
- science - Why can certain stars sometimes be identified as eclipsing binary ...
- Math (Trig/pre-calculus) - some stars are so far away that their position appear...