Posted by lostinmathclass on Monday, April 20, 2009 at 11:43pm.
Write an equation. The sum of 2 consecutive integers 48.
- Math - Emily, Monday, April 20, 2009 at 11:47pm
Correct me if I'm wrong, but there are no two consecutive integers that add up to 48. However, if you were finding two consecutive NUMBERS that add up to 48, your equation would look like this:
x + (x+1) = 48
x being the first number, (x+1) being the consecutive number.
Hope this helps!
- Math - lostinmathclass, Monday, April 20, 2009 at 11:50pm
Thanks, you helped a lot! My teacher isn't the brightest crayon in the box and that's what she typed on the worksheet.
- Math - Reiny, Monday, April 20, 2009 at 11:50pm
consecutive: one after the other
so let the first integer be x
then the next consecutive integer has to be x+1
" The sum of 2 consecutive integers is 48"
x + x+1 = 48
2x = 47
x = 47/2 which is not an integer.
so your problem has no solution
(one can see that right from the start.
For any two consecutive integers, one would have to be even and the other one odd. And of course, the sum of an even plus an odd is always odd)
- Math - Emily, Monday, April 20, 2009 at 11:53pm
No problem :) glad I could help!
Answer this Question
- math - i dont get this question consecutive integers are integers that differ by...
- math - i dont get this question consecutive integers are integers that differ ...
- math - Consecutive integers are integers that follow each other in order (for ...
- math - consecutive even integers can be represented by x,x+2,x+4 and so on. ...
- math - The sum of four consecutive odd integers is -72. Write an equation and ...
- Math - Sum of 2 consecutive integers is 59. Write an equation that models that ...
- Math - When you solve questions like "The sum of 3 consecutive integers is 147. ...
- Math - Write an equation. The sum of 2 consecutive integers 48.
- math - there are three consecutive positive integers such that the sum of the ...
- math - The sum of two consecutive integers is –49. Write an equation that models...