Posted by anonymous on Monday, April 20, 2009 at 11:42pm.
ionization equation: HC3H2NO2<==> H^+ + C3H2NO2^-
Unknown: pH of 0.4M of Cyanaocetic acid
I can't figure out how to calculate this. I only knew how to calculate the pH value of an acid with a known Ka, but not in this case.
Also, I want to know the second ionization equation of succinic acid because I need to find the Ka expression of this.
Can someone please help me out. Thanks in advance for helping out.
- Chemistry - DrBob222, Monday, April 20, 2009 at 11:50pm
If you know how to calculate the pH of solution of a known Ka, then why not this one. It's the same thing. For simplicity, let's call this long molecule just HC.
HC ==> H^+ + C^-
Now (H^+)(C^-)/(HC) = Ka.
Do an ICE chart, calculate (H^+) and pH from there.
If we call succinic acid H2Su, then
H2Su ==> H^+ + HSu^- and
k1 = ......
HSu^- ==> H^+ + Su^=
an k2 = ,......
I assume you can take it from there.
- Chemistry - anonymous, Monday, April 20, 2009 at 11:56pm
What's an ice chart? I don't think I had learned about that..
- Chemistry - DrBob222, Tuesday, April 21, 2009 at 12:00am
Show me how you do the pH of an acid with a Ka.
- Chemistry - anonymous, Tuesday, April 21, 2009 at 12:13am
1.000M of Cyanoacetic acid
pH value of 2
HC3H2NO2<==> H^+ + C3H2NO2^-
Is it right?
Actually I don't know why [H^+] and [C3H2NO2^-] have the same value, also why [HC3H2NO2] equals initial concentration minus [H^+]?
- Chemistry - anonymous, Tuesday, April 21, 2009 at 12:18am
I think I said something wrong.. I mean I know how to calculate the Ka with a known pH value...sorry..
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Chemistry-Repost - Known: Cyanaocetic acid Ka=3.55*10^-3 ionization equation: ...
- Chemistry - The pH of a weak monoprotic acid, HA, is 4.55. It took 39.22 ml of 0...
- chemistry (acid-ionization constant) - A 0.942 M sample of carbonic acid, H2CO3...
- Chemistry - Since the unkown acid is monoprotic, this also equals the number of ...
- Chemistry - Need help with AP chemistry, specifically Acids and Bases The acid ...
- Chemistry, pH, Buffers - Please help!! Given this data: mass of unknown acid 1....
- Chemistry - Include an explanation, balanced chemical equation, units, ...
- Chemistry, Buffers, pH - Hi could someone please help me in the next 5 minutes ...
- chemistry - the chemical equation of nicotinic acid is C5H4NCOOH + NaOH --> ...
- Chemistry - I wanted to calculate the average equivalent weight of an unknown ...