Posted by John on Friday, April 17, 2009 at 8:47am.
1. A person who tells actors in a film or play how to play their parts. (The definition of 'director')
( In the expression, what is the part of speech of 'in a film or play'? Is it an adjective phrase or an adverbial phrase?)
2. I dislike him to go abroad.
2-1. I dislike him going abroad.
(Are both right?)
3. I got 100 on the test.
3-1. I got a 100 on the test.
3-2. I got a 100 points on the test.
3-3. I got 100 points on the test.
(Which one is right?)
4. Your computer broke down.
4-1. Your computer was broken down.
4-2. Your computer was out of order.
4-3. Your computer was down.
(Which one is similar to #4? Are all the same and grammatical?)
5. During some shows, people can sit in the studio and watch.
5-1. For some shows, people can sit in the studio and watch.
(Can we use 'For' instead of 'During'?)
6. Is 'drama' the same as ' soap opera'? (question)
English - SraJMcGin, Friday, April 17, 2009 at 9:55am
1. "in a film" = prepositional phrase
2. "him" is often used when it is incorrect. "I dislike HIS going abroad." Right now I can't think of another away.
3. I like 3.3 best.
4. Probably 4.2
5-1. You could but 5 is better.
6. "drama" can be te same as "soap opera" referring to TV. Of course, on the stage, in the theater, it is not the same.
English - Writeacher, Friday, April 17, 2009 at 1:02pm
1 - "in a film or play" is a prepositional phrase that modifies the noun "actors." Therefore, it's an adjective phrase.
2 - Sra is correct.
The only other ways I can think of to phrase this idea are these:
**I don't like that he goes abroad.
**I don't like him to go abroad.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- English - I just wanted to know if the following alternatives are possible. ...
- Math - Nine actors audition for four different parts in a play. In how many ways...
- Observing development of the young child - The type of pretend play in which ...
- MATH - 110 MEMBER OF CLUB PLAY 1 GAME FO BA AND VO 20 PLAY FO AND BA 15 PLAY FO ...
- English - I forgot to include these two last sentences. i hope you can have a ...
- stats - A play contains 15 speaking roles, 10 of them female and 5 male. If the ...
- statistics - A play contains 15 speaking roles, 10 of them female and 5 male. If...
- English - Could you please check these sentences I tried to correct myself. ...
- English - I urgently need you to revise these sentences, please. 1) The ghost of...
- English - Thank you very much. Here are some more sentences I'm not sure of. 1)I...