Posted by Anonymous on Thursday, April 16, 2009 at 9:02pm.
Which of the following are inverse functions?
1. Arcsin x and sin x
2. cos^-1 x and cos x
3. csc x and sin x
4. e^x and ln x
5. x^2 and +/- sqrt x
6. x^3 and cubic root of x
7. cot x and tan x
8. sin x and cos x
9. log x/3 and 3^x
I believe the answers are 2, 4, 6, and 9, but how come not the rest, especially csc/sin and cot/tan?
Thank you very much!
- math (repost) - Reiny, Thursday, April 16, 2009 at 9:42pm
pick any x
perform the first operation
perform the second operation on that answer.
did I get back the original x ?
cscx and sinx, cotx and tanx are reciprocal functions, not inverses
my choices of inverse are:
(how did you figure #9 represents an inverse ???)
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math - Which of the following are inverse functions? 1. Arcsin x and sin x 2. ...
- calculus - Differentiate. y= (cos x)^x u= cos x du= -sin x dx ln y = ln(cos x)^x...
- Calc. - Differentiate. y= (cos x)^x u= cos x du= -sin x dx ln y = ln(cos x)^x ln...
- math - Eliminate the parameter (What does that mean?) and write a rectangular ...
- Trigonometry - I need help with I just can't seem to get anywhere. this is as ...
- tigonometry - expres the following as sums and differences of sines or cosines ...
- TRIG! - Posted by hayden on Monday, February 23, 2009 at 4:05pm. sin^6 x + cos^6...
- verifying trigonometric identities - How do I do these problems? Verify the ...
- Mathematics - Trigonometric Identities - Let y represent theta Prove: 1 + 1/tan^...
- trig - Reduce the following to the sine or cosine of one angle: (i) sin145*cos75...