Posted by Sherri on Monday, April 13, 2009 at 3:14pm.
Assignment Type: Individual Project Deliverable Length: Completed Punnett Square and Answers to all Questi
Points Possible: 125 Due Date: 4/12/2009 11:59:59 PM CT
Part 1: Genetics: From Genes to Proteins
Convert the following DNA sequence into its RNA equivalent and then using the genetic code, convert that RNA sequence into the amino acid sequence.
For this above DNA sequence, what information is contained in the genetic code for the first and last codon? Be specific.
Part 2: Genetics Problem - Human Blood Types
Mendel is the father of modern genetics, but there are some genetic characteristics that cannot be explained by simple Mendelian genetics. Such is the case with the human blood types in which there are 3 alleles for the same gene, A B, and o. A parent can pass allele A, B, or o to the offspring based on the parentâ€™s genotype.
From these 3 alleles, there are 4 blood types (phenotypes): A, B, AB, and O, and there are six genotypes: AA, Ao, BB, Bo, AB, or oo. This is an example of codominance in which both A and B alleles are codominant to each other.
Blood types can be used in forensics to determine if blood is from the victim or criminal. Blood types can be used to determine parental source in situation where the father is unknown; however, blood types can only eliminate certain blood types. DNA fingerprinting is a better method that is used often in criminal and parental determination cases.
Punnett squares such as the one shown above are used to determine the probabilities (percentages) for genotypes of offspring given specific genotypes for the parents.
In the example above, the Punnett Square represents a cross (mating) between a male (on the left side) with blood type AB, and a female, (top of square), with blood type B, genotype BB.
Fill out and turn in the Punnett square for AB x BB above. And, answer the following questions for the cross represented above. Make sure you understand the difference between phenotype (blood type) and genotype. The Punnett Square shows the possible genotypes. When answering the questions, percent (probability) calculations and your answers should be in terms of the phenotypes (the blood types) and NOT the genotypes.
1. What are the possible blood types for the offspring?
2. What are the ratios or percentages for each possible blood type from this cross?
3. What blood type is not possible from this cross?
You will be turning in 1 completed Punnett square and answers to the questions for Parts 2A.
Part 3: Cell division, mutations, and genetic variability.
Eukaryotic cells can divide by mitosis or meiosis. In humans, mitosis produces new cells for growth and repair. And, meiosis produces sex cells (gametes), called sperm and eggs. Changes or mutations in genes in sex cells can be inherited by human offspring. Genetic variation in a population of organisms is good; however, sometimes mutations can be harmful or cause genetic disorders.
Briefly, answer the following two questions. List and cite your references for this:
1. How do meiosis and sexual reproduction (fertilization) produce offspring that differ genetically from the parents? Be sure to talk about both meiosis and fertilization.
2. Name and describe one example of a human disorder that is inherited and also describe the specific inheritance pattern. For this question, pick disorders that result from mutations in DNA or chromosome number rather than examples such as a genetic tendency for a disorder such as cancer.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Biology - Convert the following DNA sequence into its RNA equivalent and then ...
- Biology - I need help with DNA conversion. First of all, I needed to convert ...
- AP Biology- Molecular Genetics - The correct sequence between genes and their ...
- Biology - I need some help with these questions. I've chosen answers, but I want...
- Genetics - Given the sequence of bases in the sense strand of DNA shown below, ...
- Biology - Part 1: Genetics – From Genes to Proteins, Mutations (Chapter 10) ...
- Science - I answered the questions, but I don't know if my choices are right. 1...
- business - I have the first part done with either Marriott Intl or southwest ...
- Biology - The original high estimate of the number of protein-coding genes in ...
- Biology - Mendel is the father of modern genetics, but there are some genetic ...