Posted by E.G. on Sunday, April 12, 2009 at 1:41pm.
Bonjour et Joyeux P‚ques!
Could you please check the following;
my question concerns the use of LEUR and LEURS
I know that it is "leur voiture" and
"leurs enfants" but I would like to clarify the sentences below:
1) je LEUR donne quelque chose
1a) je LEUR donne un livre
2) je LEUR donne quelques choses
2a) je lEUR donne quelques livres
Is "leur" correct in all the above?
3) nous LEURS donnons quelque chose
3a) nous LEURS donnons un livre
4) nous LEURS donnons quelques choses
4a) nous LEURS donnons des livres
Is LEURS correct in all the above?
5) je lEUR pose un question
6) ils LEURS posent un question
Is that correct??
Does it depend on whether "singular" or "plural" is doing the "giving" or the
Thank you sooooooooo much!
- FRENCH to SraJMcGin - SraJMcGin, Sunday, April 12, 2009 at 8:06pm
First of all "leur" might be an indirect-object pronoun: Je leur parle = I am speaking to them. It is also a possessive adjective.
my = mon, ma, mes
your = ton, ta, tes
his/her/its = son, sa, ses
our = notre, nos
your = votre, vos
***their = leur, leurs
First set 1-4, all correct, indirect-object pronoun.
Second set 1-4, all wrong. You wrote the possessive adjective plural but you need the indirect-object pronoun "leur."
Nous leur donnons, etc.
5) je lEUR pose un question good, except for "une" question
6) ils LEURS posent un question (no, because you need the indiriect-object pronoun and not the possessive adjective plural plus "une" with question.
Look at it this way:
possessive adjective = leur, leurs
leur maison, leurs amis
indirect-object pronoun = leur
Nous leur donnons le livre = We give to them the book (literally).
Sra (aka Mme)
- FRENCH to SraJMcGin - E.G., Sunday, April 12, 2009 at 8:30pm
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- French - Fill in the blank with either leur or leurs. Fabien et Christophe sont ...
- French #2 - Can someone please check my work? The following people are not ...
- French 101 help - Hi. Would someone please review and tell me if these are ...
- French - I am saying... Put them to bed at 9:00. I don't know wether to use ...
- More french - Directions: Complete the sentences, choosing the correct ...
- Beginner French Work check - Hello! Just wondering if someone could check my ...
- French - Please check my French work: Les parents nous ont nourris ŗ travers nos...
- French - WE are learning the subjunctive and we have a worksheet where we put ...
- French - Hi! I'm SInclair and I;m just starting to study for my A-level French. ...
- French 1 - I have to translate the following into French with an object pronoun...