Posted by John on Thursday, April 9, 2009 at 6:59am.
1. I watch a comic drama on TV when I feel blue.
2. I watch comic drama on TV when I feel blue.
(Which one is correct? Is #2 not correct?)
3. Mike is idle. Plus, he never exercises.
(Is this correct? Which expression can we use instead of 'Plus'?)
4. He is a mouse potato.
(Do you use this expression? What is the meaning of this sentence?)
5. Don't close your eyes where I take a picture.
6. Don't close your eyes when I take a picture.
(Which one is correct in #5 and #6?)
7. Stand in a line.
8. Stand in line.
(Which one is correct? Are both OK?)
9. He wins every time.
10. He wins at every time.
(Which one is correct? Can we use 'at every time' in this sentence or in other sentences?)
11. He put the fire out.
12. He extinguished the fire.
(Are both the same? do you have other similar expressions?)
- English - Writeacher, Thursday, April 9, 2009 at 7:47am
1 and 2 are both correct (with or without the "a"), but rather than saying "comic drama" you should just use the term "comedy."
3 is OK, but if you substitute "In addition," for "Plus" you'll have a better sentence.
4 should be "He is a couch potato." The expression means that he sits or lies on the couch all day (probably watching TV!) and doesn't do much else. It also sometimes implies that he's getting fatter as a result.
5 is not correct, but 6 is.
7 and 8 are both fine. 7 implies that people are just now forming a line; 8 implies there's already a line and the person should join it.
9 is correct; 10 is not. The word "at" is not needed.
11 and 12 mean the same thing. Some times the wording in 11 is changed around: "He put out the fire."
Answer this Question
- English - 1. If I had a DMB phone, I would watch the drama here. 2. As I don't ...
- Math - a comic book store sells used comic books in a package of 5 and new comic...
- English - 1. I'm in the English drama club. 2. I'm on the English drama club. (...
- English - 1. The comic drama is uninformative because it doesn't deal with ...
- English - 1. I watch documentaries when I feel down. (What is the meaning of '...
- English - 1. Mike doesn't often watch TV. 2. Mike often doesn't watch TV...
- English - 1. She wants to read the comic book. 2. She wants to read the specific...
- English - 1. He took the watch apart. 2. He disassembled the watch. 3. He broke ...
- English - 1. I want to make an educational program. I will name it "Let's Learn ...
- CHEMiSTRY PROJECT - For chemistry I have to make a comic strip about gold. The ...