Posted by Lynnese on Wednesday, April 8, 2009 at 5:57pm.
Bobby has only pennies, dimes, and quarters. One half of Bobby's coins are pennies. One fourth of his coins are quarters. Three of his coins are dimes. How many coins does Bobby have?
please help me figure this one out?
- 4th grade - Courtney, Wednesday, April 8, 2009 at 6:01pm
Bobby has 12 coins.
he has 3 dimes, 6 pennies, and 3 quarters
- 4th grade-math - Lynnese, Wednesday, April 8, 2009 at 6:12pm
How did you get your answer? Please explain it to me?
- 4th grade - Courtney, Wednesday, April 8, 2009 at 6:19pm
i used the equation: 1/2x+1/4x+3=x
then add 1/2x and 1/4x: 3/4x+3=x
then subtract 3/4x on both sides:3=1/4x
then divide by 1/4x: 12=x
-12 coins is the answer :)
- 4th grade - Reiny, Wednesday, April 8, 2009 at 6:20pm
1/2 + 1/4 = 3/4
so 3/4 of his coins must be made up of pennies and quarters.
so that means the remaining 1/4 must be dimes
But we know that he has 3 dimes
think this way: 1/4 of what number is 3 ?
3 divided by 1/4 is .... ?
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- math - Bobby has only pennies, dimes, and quarters. One half of Bobby's coins ...
- 5th grade math - I need to use quarters, dimes, nickles and pennies to make the ...
- Math - There are 52 coins that consists of pennies, dimes, and quarters. Two ...
- Math - rick has a box of coins. The box contains 51 coins. Which consist of ...
- MATH - Rick has a box of coins .The box currently contains 51 coins, consisting ...
- Math - Cindy had $1.08 using 9 coins. She had as many pennies as dimes. ___ ...
- fractional parts of a number - Malcom has 200 coins.If one-fourth of coins are ...
- Stats - You are asked to draw THREE coins from a jar one at a time without ...
- Math problem I need help with - Combination of coins that can be used; fifty-...
- Math - Shirley has 18 coins. One sixth of the coins are quarters, one third of ...