Posted by Andre on Tuesday, April 7, 2009 at 8:40pm.
Max kept records about where he spent his money. At the end of the year, he announced that he had spent 1.2 of his income on food and rent, 1/2 of his income on clothing, 1/12 on entertainment, and had saved $1400.
Mike said he spent 1/2 of his income on food and rent, 1.4 of his income on clothing, 1/12 on entertainment, and had saved $1400.
1. Who had the highest yearly salary?
2.How much more did he make?
3. How much did the other person make during the year?
We need to find out how to solve this problem. We do not want the answer to the problem we want to know how to solve.
- 6th grade math - Reiny, Tuesday, April 7, 2009 at 11:17pm
Confused about what you mean by
"he had spent 1.2 of his income on food.."
did you mean 1.2% ?
1.2 would be 120%, so he is obviously living beyond his means.
So is Mike.
(I am going to assume you meant:
Mike said he spent 1/2 of his income on food and rent, 1/4 of his income on clothing, 1/12 on entertainment, and had saved $1400. )
add up 1/2 + 1/4 + 1/12
subtract that from 1
whatever that fraction is represents $1400
divide 1400 by that fraction to get his income.
I got $8400
1/2 of 8400 = 4200
1/4 of 8400 = 2100
1/12 of 8400 = 700
total so far = 7000 leaving 1400 for savings
- 6th grade math - Andre, Wednesday, April 8, 2009 at 6:59am
I meant to type 1/2 and not 1.2,sorry. Thank you for answering the questions. I will use the same operation to solve the first part of the problem. Thank you!
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- Math - A merchant visited 3 fairs. At the first, he doubled his money and spent...
- Math - A Canadian zoo started with 16 whooping cranes and planned to hatch 20 ...
- 6th Grade Math - Carmen recieved some money for her birthday on Friday. That ...
- math - sam spent 2/5 of amount he had on clothes. He spent 1/6th of remaining on...
- MATH - The first month's dues will be used to rent a film about computer-related...
- math - Joe spent 25% of his money on food. He spent 25% of the remainder on ...
- math,(fraction) - Susan had some money. she spent one-sixth of her money on ...
- math - hi, how are you i am in 5th grade and i want to ask you how i do this ...
- MATHS - A woman had $200. she went to the meatshop, a drug store and a book ...
- math - Fred was given some pocket money. He spent 1/3 of his money to buy games ...