Posted by Samantha on Monday, April 6, 2009 at 7:46pm.
Could someone please explain to me how you get answers when you add a negative number to a negative number or a positive number to a positive number or a negative and positive number added together, because my teacher tried explaining it to me, but I'm completly lost. The ones I don't understand the most are like, for example, 5 + -3 or -2 - +8 and I wouldn't know how to answer that.
If you could help that would be nice, THANKS!!!
- Math - Damon, Monday, April 6, 2009 at 7:53pm
draw a number line with zero in the middle.
now look at negative(left) + negative(more left) --> more negative
-1 + (-1) = -1-1 = -2
now look at positive + positive
1+1= 2 but you know that
now look at negative + positive
left then right
-1 + 1 = 0
similarly positive + negative
right then left
+1 + (-1) = 1-1 = 0
- Math - Samantha, Monday, April 6, 2009 at 7:55pm
see we done that and i get it but im still a bit confused try giving me a problem and i will figure it out.
- Math - Damon, Monday, April 6, 2009 at 7:55pm
5 + (-3)
from zero right 5
then left three
-2 - (+8)
from zero left 2
then left 8 more
- Math - Damon, Monday, April 6, 2009 at 7:57pm
You can do it if you stick to the number line. Using parentheses like I did might make it clearer (or not).
- Math - Damon, Monday, April 6, 2009 at 7:58pm
-2 + (-5) + 3 - 2
- Math - Samantha, Monday, April 6, 2009 at 7:59pm
- Math - Damon, Monday, April 6, 2009 at 8:01pm
-2-5 = -7
-7+3 = -4
-4-2 = -6 answer
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Pre Algebra - how do i do to get the answer for negative 12 + possitive 4+...
- algebra - Could someone please help me with this? (1) If x is a nonzero real ...
- Math - Please explain why a positive number minus a negative number equals ...
- math - Need to find the real number. Someone performed a trade of 20,000 less ...
- math - Conduct an interview to find out how someone else responds to the ...
- Math - We are adding positive and negative numbers. The question is State ...
- Math - i^6 = (i^2)^3 = (-1)^3 = -1 The square, not the square root of -1 is 1...
- Decartes Rule of Signs - Could you explain to me decartes Rule of signs? Here ...
- math - Instructions: Tell whether each expression represents a positive number ...
- algebra - ) If x is a nonzero real number, is x–2 always positive, always ...