Posted by jack on Monday, April 6, 2009 at 11:36am.
A projectile of mass m moves to the right with a speed vi. The projectile strikes and sticks to the end of a stationary rod of mass M, of length d, that is pivoted about a frictionless axle through its center.
(a) Find the angular speed of the system right after the collision. (Use v_i for vi, m, M, and d as appropriate in your equation.)
(b) Determine the fractional loss in mechanical energy due to the collision. (Use v_i for vi, m, M, and d as appropriate in your equation.)
fractional loss of energy
I got part a correct and it's (12mv_i^2)/((m+M)d^2)
For part b is it just the final kinetic energy over the initial kinetic energy? If so, why do I keep getting the same answer as part a?
physics - bobpursley, Monday, April 6, 2009 at 12:34pm
for part b, your final KE is rotational KE which is now 1/2 I w^2 where I consists of the rod mass distributed, and the mass of the initial stuff at some rotational distance. You cant get the same answer as a), as the units are different. THe units in a) are sec^-1, and in b) should be unitless.
physics - jack, Monday, April 6, 2009 at 12:42pm
so would it be (Iw^2)/(mv^2)?
physics - bobpursley, Monday, April 6, 2009 at 12:49pm
Yes, depending on what you put in for final I, w, and the intial v.
physics - bobpursley, Monday, April 6, 2009 at 12:50pm
actually, since b) asked for fractional loss, it would be that fraction subtracted from 1.
physics - Jackson, Tuesday, April 7, 2009 at 9:44pm
What did you put in for I
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Physics - A uniform rod AB of length 2a and mass M is freely pivoted at A and is...
- Physics - A mass of 100g is attached to one end of a massless rod, 10cm in ...
- Physics - A ballistic pendulum consists of an arm of mass M and length L = 0.52 ...
- physics - A piece of putty of mass m = 0.75 kg and velocity v = 2.5 m/s moves on...
- Physics - A projectile is launched at an angle of 34.0o above the horizontal. ...
- Physics - A ballistic pendulum consists of an arm of mass M and length L = 0.485...
- Physics - A thin uniform rod (length = 1.3 m, mass = 3.2 kg) is pivoted about a ...
- Physics (please help!!!!) - A thin uniform rod (length = 1.3 m, mass = 4.1 kg) ...
- general physics - An axle of a mass of 10 kg, length 10 cm and radius .1 m is ...
- mit - A small circular block of mass M traveling with a speed v on a ...