Posted by Aaron on Saturday, April 4, 2009 at 3:58pm.
To find an angle where you have the opposite and adjacent which formula do you use? Sine, Cosine, Tan? and how do you find the inverse?
- Trig/Math - Reiny, Saturday, April 4, 2009 at 5:04pm
as an example make a right-angled triangle ABC with AB=5, BC=4 and AC=3
(notice 3^2 + 4^2 = 5^2)
relative to angle B, AC is the opposite, and BC is the adjacent, and AB is the hypotenuse.
the ratio AB/BC = opposite/adjacent is called the tangent of an angle.
in this case tangent B = 3/4 = .75
to get angle B depends on your calculuator.
I have a "Sharp" in front of me, and there is a 2ndF key at the top left
so to get my angle I press
and I get 36.87º
to get angle A, you simple take the difference between that angle and 90º, since angle C = 90
to find the tangent of the angle, press
you should get very close to .75,
(we won't get .75 itself, since we rounded off our previous result)
google 'trig ratios' and you should get the other two definitions
also look up SOHCAHTOA
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- trig - h t t p : / / i m g 4 0 . i m a g e s h a c k . u s / c o n t e n t . p h...
- trig - use an inverse trig function to write è as a function of x (There is a ...
- trigonometric functions - im compeletely lost with the trigonometric functions...
- Math sin/cos - On a piece of paper draw and label a right triangle using the ...
- Evaluation-repost - Reposting because it has gone down to the second page! ...
- math please help - use an inverse trig function to write theta as a function of ...
- Algebra2--- - 1. An artist is designing triangular mirrors. Determine the number...
- Algebra 2 .. - 1. An artist is designing triangular mirrors. Determine the ...
- Algebra 2.... - 1. An artist is designing triangular mirrors. Determine the ...
- Trigonometry - Hello, everyone: I am working on finding the exact values of ...