Posted by Angie on Thursday, April 2, 2009 at 8:54pm.
Suppose you have $28.00 in your bank account and start saving $18.25 every week. Your friend has $161.00 in his account and is withdrawing $15 every week. When will your account be the same?
- math - Reiny, Thursday, April 2, 2009 at 11:20pm
let amount1 = 28 - 18.25w
let amount2 = 161 - 15w
so you want amount1 = amount2
28 - 18.25w = 161 - 15w
-3.25w = 133
oops, a negative number of weeks ????
your question is bogus
- math - Leira, Sunday, February 27, 2011 at 1:27pm
the answer is 4, you got your signs mixed up
- math - Scott, Sunday, February 27, 2011 at 1:28pm
your money = $28 + ($18.25 * each week)
the $28 is money that you already have in your bank account, and $18.25 how much it will increase by each week.
friend's money = $161 - ($15 * each week)
the $161 is money your friend has in his bank account, and $15 is how much it will decrease by each week (which is why there is a minus sign)
you want to know which week you and your friend will have the same amount of money, so make your equations equal to one another.
let's call the week, say, "x".
$28 + $18.25x = $161 - $15x
group your like terms:
$18.25x + $15x = $161 - $28
$33.25x = $133
now solve for x:
x = $133 / $33.25
x = 4
therefore, your account balances will be the same in week 4.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- algebra - Suppose you have $28.00 in your bank account and you start saving $18....
- algebra - Suppose you have $55 in your account. You start saving $10 each week...
- math - At the beginning of the summer molly decided to add a little money into ...
- Math - Seth currently has $160 in his account and he deposit eight dollars in it...
- algebra 2 - You have $22 in your bank account, and you deposit $11.50 per week...
- Math - At the beginning of the summer Molly decided to add a little money into ...
- Math - At the start of the week, the amount of money in Howard's bank account ...
- Math - Kendal spent 1/3 of her money on an mp3 player. The next week, she earned...
- Math help - Samantha finds a bank, Star Bank, which offers a CD account with a 2...
- Algebra - Tina has $600 in her bank account when she starts withdrawing $50 a ...