Posted by lholmq on Sunday, March 29, 2009 at 6:24pm.
Ok, I'm sure this is a stupid question, but when I try to break down the following equation to its net ionic equation, all of the elements cancel out. I'm obviously doing something wrong...
Can anyone help with the net ionic equation for:
Fe(NO3)3 (aq) + 3KSCN (aq) ---> Fe(SCN)3 (aq) + 3KNO3 (aq)
? Thank you.
chemistry - Kara, Sunday, March 29, 2009 at 6:53pm
Fe(NO3)3 + 3KSCN >> FeSCN(2+) + 3KNO3
chemistry - lholmq, Sunday, March 29, 2009 at 7:00pm
But it's not broken down into ions. Isn't is supposed to be?
chemistry - DrBob222, Sunday, March 29, 2009 at 7:36pm
The net ionic equation is
The equation above is the molecular equation (but it isn't balanced because the SCN is not balanced). The net ionic equation is
Fe^+3 + SCN^- ==> FeSCN^+2
chemistry - lholmq, Sunday, March 29, 2009 at 7:58pm
Sorry, I meant to mention that all the Fe in the equation is Fe3+ (maybe that's obvious from the equation...). In which equation is the SCN not balanced? Mine or Kara's? And how did you get to this answer? Thank you so much.
chemistry - DrBob222, Sunday, March 29, 2009 at 8:49pm
Everything is balanced in your equation but it's incorrect because it doesn't show the FeSCN^+2 ion. The SCN^- is not balanced in Kara's post.
How did I get my answer?
Ferric ion forms a complex ion with SCN and the formula of the complex is FeSCN^+2. And we know that KNO3 is ionic so those ions would cancel. Therefore, the only ions that react are ferric ion and SCN ion. It's a qualitative test for either SCN^- or iron(III) and it's very sensitive. The complex is a blood red color and is visible to the eye at extremely low concentrations. In fact, it is so sensitive that the reaction is used as an indicator in some quantitative titrations. I hope this helps.
chemistry - lholmq, Sunday, March 29, 2009 at 10:00pm
Yes, it helps a lot. Thanks so much! :)
chemistry - Yikes, Monday, May 17, 2010 at 4:25pm
What would the balanced chemical equation be?
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Chemistry - For a reaction between sodium phosphate and strontium nitrate write ...
- Chemistry - Write equations for the dissociation of the following in water. Do ...
- Chemistry - I am having a bit of difficulty getting the net equation and the net...
- net ionics for lab - an experiment was conducted by measuring the change in ...
- chemistry check - A) Write a balanced chemical equation for the reaction between...
- Easy chem question... me=braindead, help please? - It's been so long I forget ...
- Chemical Formulas and Reactions - When aqueous copper(II)chloride reacts with ...
- AP Chemistry - Write the balanced molecular, complete ionic, and net ionic ...
- Chemistry - 1. net ionic equation for the reaction of tin (II) and solid mercury...
- Chemistry - What do I do when writing the net ionic equation for Magnesium ...