Posted by purpletree on Sunday, March 29, 2009 at 12:58pm.
The longer leg of a right triangle is 3 ft longer than three times the shorter leg. The hypotenuse is 3 ft shorter than four times the shorter leg. Find the lengths of the three sides of the right triangle. (Please provide steps/explanation to solve this problem.)
- Quadratic Equations - Brianna, Sunday, March 29, 2009 at 2:58pm
shoter leg = x
longer leg = 3x+3
to solve for hypotenuse you use
a^2 + b^2 = c^2, so
(x)^2 + (3x+3)^2 = (4x-3)^2
(x)(x) + (3x+3)(3x+3) = (4x-3)(4x-3)
(x^2) + (9x^2+18x+9) = (16x^2-24x+9)
then combine like terms
10x^2 + 18x + 9 = 16x^2 - 24x + 9
then i subtracted 10x^2 from both sides
18x + 9 = 6x^2 - 24x +9
next, i subtracted 18x from both sides:
9 = 6x^2 - 42x + 9
and then subtracted 9 from both sides
0 = 6x^2 - 42x
then pull out a 6x on the right side of the equation
0 = 6x(x-7)
so x= 0 and 7
so the shorter leg is :
0 units or 7 units
the longer leg is :
3 units or 24 units
and the hypotenuse is :
-3 units or 25
and since you cant have a hypotenuse with a negative value
i think the three lengths of your triangle are
7, 24, and 25
- Quadratic Equations - purpletree, Monday, March 30, 2009 at 9:22am
Thanks for the help. :)
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- math - The hypotenuse of a right triangle is 1 cm more than twice the shorter ...
- math - did i do this right? The hypotenuse of a 30 ¨C 60-90 right triangle ...
- Algebra - the length of the longer leg of a right triangle is 13 ft more than 3 ...
- math - The longer leg of a right triangle is 3 more than the shorter leg. The ...
- Math - A toy manufacturer needs a piece of plastic in the shape of a right ...
- Math - The shorter leg of a right triangle is 14 feet shorter than the longer ...
- Algebra - A lot is in the shape of a right triangle. The shorter leg measures 90...
- Algebra - The hypotenuse of a right triangle is 5cm long. One leg is 3cm longer ...
- math - The shorter leg of a 30°–60°–90° triangle is 10. What are the lengths of ...
- Algebra 2 Honors - Hi, I'd like some help with one of the questions on my math ...