Posted by gagan on Thursday, March 26, 2009 at 8:37pm.
how to complete the square for
can you plz help me, and any help is greatly appricieted.
thnx a lot for your effort.
math - Reiny, Thursday, March 26, 2009 at 9:30pm
always factor out the coefficient of the x^2 term, unless it is already 1
this guarantees that it will be just x^2
= -2[x^2 - 3/2 + ...] - 1
now take 1/2 of the coefficient of the x term, square that result, and then add and subtract it
1/2 of -3/2 is -3/4, which when squared is 9/16
= -2[x^2 - 3/2 + 9/16 - 9/16] - 1
your first 3 terms inside the bracket are your "perfect square"
= -2[x - 3/4)^2 - 9/16] - 1
now multiply through by the -2
= -2(x - 3/4)^2 + 9/8 - 1
simplify the end part
= -2(x - 3/4)^2 + 9/8 - 8/8
= -2(x - 3/4)^2 + 1/8
small typo math - Reiny, Thursday, March 26, 2009 at 9:32pm
the middle term should of course be (-3/2)x in two of the above lines.
I am pretty sure you know where the typo error is.
math - misti, Thursday, March 26, 2009 at 11:56pm
r u there gagan
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math - A highschool is planning to build a new playing field surrounded by a ...
- math - Simplify ã12+ã18-ã27+ã50 thnx a lot any help is greatly appriceted...
- Quadratic Equations - Ok, I am supposed to find out what the variables are by ...
- math (grade 11 operations with radicals) - Simplify sqrt12 + sqrt18 - sqrt27 + ...
- US HISTORY PLZ ANSWER MY QUESTION - name 1 person that was influential to ...
- Mathematics - A lot which is 3 feet times as long as it is wide is enclosed by a...
- My Grades - Great News today I got my report card my average is 93.50 eng 7 99 ...
- math - what is a sixth grade divison problem with the number 17 in it plz help ...
- math - a corner lot that was originally square lost 185m^2 area when one of the ...
- math - a) A square room has a area of 144 m2 what is the square root of 144? b) ...