Posted by Gagan on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 at 6:52pm.
A highschool is planning to build a new playing field surrounded by a running track. The track coach wants two laps around the track to be 1000m. The football coach wants the rectangular infield area to be as large as possible. Can both coaches be satisfied?
can somebody plz help me this is really important and any help will be greatly appricieted.
thnx a lot.
math - Reiny, Tuesday, March 24, 2009 at 7:53pm
let the length of the rectangular infield be x m
let the width of the rectangular infield be 2r m ,(making the radius of the semicircular ends r m)
once around is 500 m
2x + 2pir = 500
x + pir = 250 or x = 250 - pir
Area of infield = x(2r)
= 2r(250 - pir)
= 500r - 2pir^2
dA/dr = 500 - 4pir = 0 for a max of A
r = 39.788
x = 250 - pi(39.788)
so the length of the infield should be 125 m
and its width should be 79.58 m
(Wow, what a field)
math - some one, Monday, January 17, 2011 at 8:18pm
it 125/ pi and 125 m :D
math - Anonymous, Thursday, January 27, 2011 at 2:16pm
the answer to this question can not use derivatives (or shouldn't) because it is in a grade 11 math textbook within a quadratics unit. Anyone else want to give it a go?
math - Anonymous, Monday, October 17, 2011 at 8:46pm
2pir + 2w = 500m
w = 250 - pir
Area of in = x(2r)
= (250 - pir)2r
it's a "partially factored" quadratic...
0 = (250 - pir)2r
r = 0, 250/pi
(0 + (250/pi))/2 = 125/pi
r = 125/pi
w = 125
250/pi m by 125 m
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math - one track coach wants his athletes to race 8 miles around a track to ...
- math - The track coach plans to make 8 lanes each 1-meter wide on the running ...
- Geometry/Trig - Hello, I would appreciate it if... 1. If you could give me ...
- math - Jacob is jogging around a track. Th track is a mile. How many laps will ...
- Algebra - 1) A corner lot that originally was square lost 185m^2 of area when ...
- Math - Staring from the pit, Helen made three laps around a circular track at 40...
- math - Michael and mateo begin running around a circular track from the starting...
- Science - A coach wants to find out the speed of the runners on a track team. ...
- math - There is a diagram of a running track. The track is made up of two ...
- Precal - An indoor physical fitness room consists of a rectangular region with a...