Posted by Angie on Sunday, March 22, 2009 at 4:06pm.
Is it possible to use these points: (4,-2),(9,-8)
and write an equation in slope intercept form, without first writing an equation in point-slope form, and then rewriting it to slope-intercept form?
Math - Reiny, Sunday, March 22, 2009 at 4:18pm
sure, first find the slope
slope = (-8+2)/(9-4) = -6/5
then the equation is y = (-6/5)x + b
sub in (4,-2) , or the other point
-2 = (-6/5)(4) + b
I would now multiply by 5 (since I try to avoid fractions as much as possible)
-10 = -24 + 5b
b = 14/5
so y = (-6/5)x + 14/5
Math - GanonTEK, Sunday, March 22, 2009 at 4:19pm
No, you have to first use
y - y1 = m(x - x1) [point slope form]
and then rewrite in the form
y = mx + c [slope intercept form]
When you are given 2 points you have to find the slope first
[m = (y2 - y1)/(x2 - x1)]
then sub in the slope with either of the points in the equation in point slope form.
Hope that helps.
Math - GanonTEK, Sunday, March 22, 2009 at 4:21pm
I'll correct myself, yes you can I didn't think of the above method by Reiny.
I never used that way before :)
It's quite useful though.
Sorry for my error
Math - Angie, Sunday, March 22, 2009 at 5:34pm
why do you have to sub in (4,-2)? why can't you use 9,-8)?
Math - Reiny, Sunday, March 22, 2009 at 5:40pm
As I said, you can use either point.
I usually use the point that has the "nicer" numbers. Either point will give you the same value of b
A good idea is to then use the other point to see if the equation works.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math - pls check!!! - Write an equation in point-slope form for the line that ...
- Algebra 2 - Can someone help me with this equation please? The directions are: ...
- math - i have more than one question so if u no any of the answers please tell ...
- Algebra - I have an assignment that asks me to write an equation in slope-...
- Algebra - I have an assignment to write an equation to point-slope form, then to...
- Math - 1. Use point-slope form to write the equation of a line that has a slope ...
- Algebra - Choose 1 set of points from the choices below. Then, solve the problem...
- geometry - I would love for someone to check my work on the seven problems that ...
- Quick math help - My math exam is coming up Friday and I need help!! Can you ...
- math - slope-intercept - How do I write one equations in slope-intercept form, ...