Posted by Madeline on Saturday, March 21, 2009 at 1:51pm.
I need help with this problem.
(Just imagine a small square with 5x-1 at the top of the square, 2x on the left side of the square and in the right hand corner of the square there is a box on the top is a 3 and on the left side is a 2.) You have to figure it out the area of each shaded region in simplest form.
- Math - Reiny, Saturday, March 21, 2009 at 2:06pm
since you say it is a square, its sides must be equal
so 5x-1 = 2x
x = 1/3 , mmmhhh!
then you say there is a box in the corner of the square.
A box is 3-dimensional, a square has 2 dimensions.
What is the "shaded" region?
Sorry, I don't follow you question, perhaps somebody else can see what you mean.
- Math - Madeline, Saturday, March 21, 2009 at 2:07pm
You know how when you have a right angle in the corner... well that's what the box that has 3 on the top and 2 on the left side is.
- Reiny - Madeline, Saturday, March 21, 2009 at 2:12pm
Do understand what I mean now?
- Math - Reiny, Saturday, March 21, 2009 at 2:41pm
I can't reconcile the fact,since the first square must be 2/3 by 2/3, that there can be a "box" inside it with sides 3 and 2.
What part of the original square was 5x-1 ?
Was it the entire length or just part of it.
Perhaps if you name the vertices with letters A, B, etc and length of sides as AB, somebody here can figure out what you mean.
- Further help needed here - Math - Reiny, Saturday, March 21, 2009 at 2:51pm
anybody else follow Madeline's problem?
- Math - economyst, Monday, March 23, 2009 at 10:12am
I too am lost.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Physics 1112 Electric charge - As shown in the figure, a square has sides of 8.0...
- algebra - Area of a square find a polynominal A(X) that represents the area of ...
- Physics - I don't really know where to start on the problem. Would I use V = k(q...
- math - This is a floor plan of a building that is 8m tall. It has a flat roof. ...
- Physics - At each corner of a square of side script i there are point charges of...
- Pre-Calculus - I think I need help with this problem- 3+ square root(x-6) = ...
- Geometry - How do I figure out the area and perimeter of a square if all I know ...
- Physics - On the lower left corner of a square is a fixed charge qLL = 1.5x10^-9...
- math - a square sheet of tin 30cm on a side is to be used to make an open - top ...
- Math/Algebra - Could someone please help me with this problem. I posted it ...