Posted by anthony on Friday, March 20, 2009 at 6:44pm.
Solve the problem. A cruise boat travels 48 miles downstream in 3 hours and returns upstream in 6 hours. Find the rate of the stream.
- math - bobpursley, Friday, March 20, 2009 at 7:39pm
multiply the first equation by 2
subtract the equations:
50=12vs solve for vs.
- math still need help - anthony, Friday, March 20, 2009 at 8:19pm
i dont understand the way this is being worded. where did 46 come from? what does vs and vb stand for?
- math - GanonTEK, Friday, March 20, 2009 at 8:57pm
There is a mistake in bobpursley's equations - both should have the same distance of 48.
vs = velocity of stream
vb = velocity of boat
and Distance = Velocity*Time
48 = (vb + vs)*3
The stream velocity is +ve as the time is shorter downstream - the stream helps
So vb + vs = 16
48 = (vb - vs)*6
The stream velocity is -ve as the time is longer so the stream hinders the boat
So vb - vs = 8
Then just solve the 2 equations simultaneously to get vs = 4
Check that and also find the velocity of the boat.
I hope that helps.
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- how do i set up this problem? - A cruise boat travels 48 miles downstream in 3 ...
- Algebra - 15. A boat travels 30 miles upstream in 4 hours. The trip downstream ...
- word problem - A motor boat took 4 hours to make a downstream trip with a ...
- Algebra - The time required for a trip 108 miles downstream on a steamer is 3 ...
- Algebra. Please help(: - The time required for a trip 108 miles downstream on a ...
- MATH - A boat on a river travels 16 miles downstream in only 2 hours. It takes ...
- maths - The speed of a boat in still water is 8km/h. It travels upstream for a ...
- algebra - A boat traveling on the Snake River travels 24 miles upstream in 3 ...
- maths - A boat goes 12 km upstream and 40 km downstream in 8 hours. It can go ...
- math - need help. Young salmon hatch in freshwater steams and then migrate ...