Posted by Paisley on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 at 3:43pm.
f(x)= x^3/x^2-16 defined on [-19, 16]
How would you find the vertical asymptopes? and the inflection point?
I think you take the derivative and set it to zero? but i cant figure out the correct derivative or something??
- calc - Damon, Wednesday, March 18, 2009 at 3:51pm
assume you mean (x^2-16) on the bottom
vertical asymptotes are where the denominator goes to zero
that is when x = -4 and x = +4
derivative of fraction =
(bottom * derivative of top - top * derivative of bottom)
all over bottom squared
[(x^2-16)*3 x^2 - x^3(2x) ]/bottom^2
look for zeros of numerator
3 x^4 - 48 x^2 - 2 x^4
=x^4 - 48 x^2
= x^2 (x^2-48)
= x^2 (x-sqrt 48)(x+sqrt 48)
so zero at -sqrt 48, 0 and + sqrt 48
check my arithmetic, I did that fast.
- calc - Damon, Wednesday, March 18, 2009 at 3:52pm
by the way sqrt 48 = 4 sqrt 3
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- calc. - I'm having a lot of trouble with this problem: Sketch the graph and show...
- calc - one more question!! what values of c deos the polynomial f(x) = x^4 + cx^...
- Calc - Profit=p(-p^2+33p+9)-9(-p^2+33p+9)+100 How do I simplify this so I can ...
- calc - The function f is defined by f(x) = x^3 - x^2 - 4x + 4 The point (a,b) is...
- Calc - 1. Find values of a,b,c, and d such that g(x) = a(x^3)+b(x^2)+cx+d has a ...
- Math - find the the 2nd derivative and set equal to zero in order to find ...
- Calculus - For y=(1/4)x^4-(2/3)x^3+(1/2)x^2-3, find the exact intervals on which...
- Calculus - What is the point of inflection of the function f(x)=x^3-8x^2+5x+50? ...
- Calc Help - Find two functions that this could be the derivative of: y'=4x+7 ...
- calculus - (a) find the intervals on which f is incrs or decrs. (b) find the ...