Posted by Elle on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 at 3:30pm.
This isn't homework as much as I am trying to learn this on my own. I am trying to perform an experiment on solar power.
I measured and recorded the volume (V= 250 mL) and mass (M= 250 g) of water in a cup. I then recorded the initial temperature(32 degrees celcius) of the water.
I covered the cup in plastic and placed in the sun for 10 mins.
I removed the plastic and recorded the final temperature (34.5 degrees celcius) then I record the difference of 2.5 degrees celcius.
I have calculated the cups diameter at 9 cm and the surface area of the water at 3.14 * 4.5 *4.5=63.585.
Now this is where I get totally lost.
I must now determine
Then solar energy flux =_____cal/cm^2min
Then solar energy flux=_____cal/m^2min.
Then total solar output per minute=_____calories.
Can anyone help guide me through arriving at the correct answer?
- college earth science and astronomy - bobpursley, Wednesday, March 18, 2009 at 6:07pm
= 250*2.5 calories
solar flux= 250*2.5/(63.6*10) cal/cm^2*min
lets see there is 100^2 cm^2 in a m^2
solar flux= 250*2.5*100^2/(63.6*10) cal/m^2 min
solar output= solar flux* area*time
- college earth science and astronomy - Elle, Wednesday, March 18, 2009 at 8:16pm
Thank you very much bobpursley! This has been quite the challenge to learn without the benefit of a teacher. I want to run my answers past and see if I have calculated correctly.
energy= 250 * 2.5 = 625 Calories
Then solar energy flux will be 250 *2.5 (625) / 63.6 * 10 (636) cal/cm^2*min
Then solar energy flux is 250*2.5*100^2 (6,250,000) / 63.6*10 (636) cal/m^2min. = 9827.044025
Then total solar output per minute= 9827 * 63.6 * 10= 6,249,972 calories.
This doesnt look right to me.
Answer this Question
- earth - If the Earth has so much mass, then how does it "float"? (My 8th grade ...
- physics help - At a certain location, the solar power per unit area reaching the...
- physics - At a certain location, the solar power per unit area reaching the ...
- physics - At a certain location, the solar power per unit area reaching Earth's ...
- physics - At a certain location, the solar power per unit area reaching Earth's...
- chem - 1. The total power used by humans worldwide is approximately 15 TW (...
- Earth Science - My child is doing a project on the earth. He is trying to do a ...
- college, Astronomy - Compared with the strength of Earth's gravity at its ...
- Science (college level) - 1. What solar temp is needed for the peak intensity of...
- physical science - Trying to find the power to this ?. A weightlifter lifts a ...