posted by cb on .
Proponents of astrology claim that the positions of the planets at the time of a baby's birth will affect the life of that person in important ways. Some assert that this effect is due to gravity. Examine this claim with Newton's law of gravity. Calculate the maximum force exerted on the baby by the planet Mars and compare that with the force of gravity exerted by the mass of the doctor's head as she delivers the baby. Assume Mars is at its closest approach to Earth at the time. You will need to estimate the mass of a newborn, as well as the mass and distance between the doctor's head and the baby.
1)Estimate the distance from the newborn to the doctor's head. in meters
2) Approximate the mass of an average newborn baby. in kg.
3) Approximate the mass of the doctor's head in kg.
4). Determine the distance from the Earth to Mars. in meters
5) Calculate the maximum force exerted on the baby by the mass of the doctor's head as she delivers the baby.
6) Calculate the maximum force exerted on the baby by the planet Mars.
PLEASE HELP, I AM REALLY LOST!!
Follow the directions 1 through 6.
i still don't understand it.
1) 0.5 meters
2) Babies weigh about 8 lbs. 1 lb. = 0.04536 kg.
thank you ms. sue
I never took physics -- and it's been 60 years since I took a math class -- but common sense makes these two answers obvious!