Posted by cb on Saturday, March 14, 2009 at 6:37pm.
Proponents of astrology claim that the positions of the planets at the time of a baby's birth will affect the life of that person in important ways. Some assert that this effect is due to gravity. Examine this claim with Newton's law of gravity. Calculate the maximum force exerted on the baby by the planet Mars and compare that with the force of gravity exerted by the mass of the doctor's head as she delivers the baby. Assume Mars is at its closest approach to Earth at the time. You will need to estimate the mass of a newborn, as well as the mass and distance between the doctor's head and the baby.
Which of the following are critical to solving this problem?
--Newton's law of gravitation
-Newton's 2nd Law
-equations of motion
- physics - Damon, Saturday, March 14, 2009 at 7:05pm
Mass of Mars = 6.42*10^23 kg
orbit radius of Mars = 2.28*10^11 meters
orbit radius of earth = 1.49*10^11 meters
difference in orbit radii = .79*10^11 meters
G = 6.67*10^-11
You guess Mbaby and Mdoctor head
F1= G Mmars Mbaby/(.79*10^11)^2
= G (6.42*10^23)(Mbaby)/(.624*10^22)
assuming doctor .3 meter from Baby
F2 = G Mdoctorhead Mbaby/(.3 )^2
- physics - Damon, Saturday, March 14, 2009 at 7:06pm
Law of gravitation of course. That is what we are using.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- physics - Proponents of astrology claim that the positions of the planets at ...
- physics - Proponents of astrology claim that the positions of the planets at the...
- physics - One of the tenets of the pseudoscience (i.e., "false science") of ...
- Physics - Astrology, that unlikely and vague pseudoscience, makes much of the ...
- Science - Astrologers relate the location of stars and planets to events in ...
- autobiography question - I have to turn in a "model biography" tomorrow. What is...
- science - can some explain to me how birth, death and migration rates affect the...
- baby care - if a breastfed baby is suffering from gas,the reason may be that the...
- HISTORY - i need to write a biography and a birth certificate on george brown. ...
- PSYCHOLOGY - H OF THE FOLLOWING MOTHERS HAS A CHANCE OF BIRTHING A BABY WITH ...