Posted by Samantha on Saturday, March 14, 2009 at 2:18pm.
one number is 8 more than twice another. their product is 8 more than twice their sum. find the numbers
- college math - bobpursley, Saturday, March 14, 2009 at 2:20pm
- college math - drwls, Saturday, March 14, 2009 at 2:33pm
Let the smaller number be x; that means the other number must be 2x + 8.
Solve the equation
x(2x+8) = 2x + 8 + x + 8
which can also be written
2x^2 + 8x = 3x + 16
2x^2 + 5x -16 = 0
There seems to be no integer solution. The smaller number is
x = (-5 + sqrt 153)/4 = 1.84233
and the larger number is 2x + 1 = 11.68466
Their sum is 13.5267
and the product is 21.527
- college math - GanonTEK, Sunday, March 15, 2009 at 8:22am
drwls, you made a slight mistake - you forgot a factor of 2 in the RHS of the equation.
If N1 = x and N2 = 2x + 8
then the equation is
x(2x+8) = 8 + 2*(2x + 8 + x)
Which simplifies to
x^2 - x - 12 = 0
which has two integer solutions.
Hope that helps!
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- algebra - One number is 10 more than twice another.Their product is 10 more ...
- algebra - Twice the first number is eleven more than the sum of the other two ...
- algebra - Five times the smallest of three consecutive odd integers is ten more ...
- Math - The sum of two numbers is twice their difference. The larger number is 6 ...
- Algebra 1- Math - The sum of a smaller number and twice a larger number is 67. ...
- Intermediate College Algebra - The larger of two numbers is ten more than twice ...
- math - The sum of two numbers is 25. Twelve less than four times one of the ...
- Math - one postive number is 9 more than twice a number if product is 893 find ...
- math - One number is eight more than twice another. If their sum is decreased by...
- algebra - The sum of two numbers is 70. One number is 10 more than twice the ...