Posted by Nabiha on Saturday, March 14, 2009 at 9:01am.
Metals + cold water.
Li, Na, K, Ca.
Notes on reactions, equations or space? <<<< dont no what space or equations means. can someone help?
Also, say order of reactivity.
- chemistry - bobpursley, Saturday, March 14, 2009 at 10:51am
see equation 13.10 for these very active metal reactions.
I have no idea what space means here. Equations mean what is the reaction?
- chemistry - DrBob222, Saturday, March 14, 2009 at 10:52am
Your cryptic question must be clarified if we are to help. Please amplify.
- chemistry - GanonTEK, Saturday, March 14, 2009 at 11:06am
With Li, Na and K the reactions are exothermic [give out heat] and you would see flames and the metals would move vigorously on top of the water.
The reactivity order is Li<Na<K
so K is the most reactive.
The reaction of an alkali metal with water gives a Hydroxide and Hydrogen given off.
Here is the balanced equation for K
2K + 2H2O -> 2KOH + H2
2Na + 2H2O -> 2NaOH + H2
You can do the one for Li now.
For Ca the equation is slightly different as Ca has a valency of 2 so 2 OH- ions can attach which gives
Ca+ 2H2O -> Ca(OH)2 + H2
This reaction is less vigorous than the above metals [unless the water is hot in which case it's very vigorous]
I don't know what 'space' means for this question but I hope the rest has helped.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- chemistry - Below shows 3 displacement reactions involving metals and solutions ...
- math - How do you solve system of equations and tell if they're consistant and ...
- Chemistry - Below shows 3 displacement reactions involving metals and solutions ...
- Math - Jane collected 53 dollar notes for the competition of which x are $2 ...
- Chemistry - When solving Hess law problems,do we need to use all the equations ...
- someone correct my work please? fun, fun chemistry - Okay. I'm very, very ...
- chemistry - The reactivity of the alkali metals increases in the order? A. Na, ...
- Chemistry - The most chemically reactive metal elements are the alkali metals. ...
- Phys. Sci - I am trying to find out which one of these elements would not be ...
- Science - please please help - 1. Explain why conduction, convection, and ...