Posted by JAY10 on Thursday, March 12, 2009 at 1:29am.
Can I get help in solving these problems using the linear system of elimination.
4x - 5y =22
x + 2y = -1
2x - 3y = 16
3x + 4y = 7
During the summer, you want to earn at least $150 per week. You earn $10 per hour working for a farmer and you earn $5 per hour babysitting for your neighbor. You can work at most 25 hours per week.
I need to write and solve a system of linear inequalities that models the situation. Let x be the number of hours per week working on the farm and let y be the number of hours per week babysitting...
I am not sure but I came up with x+y<=(less than equal) to 25. or is there another solution....Thanks
- math/algebra - drwls, Thursday, March 12, 2009 at 6:15am
For your first question, substitute x = -1 -2y into the first equation, leaving you with
-4 -8y -5y = 22, which cqn be rearranged to
-13y = 26
y = -2
2x +6 = 16
2x = 10
Do your second question the same way.
For your third question, the other inequality you have is
10 x + 5 y >= 150
Solve the "equals" case first.
x + y = 25
10x + 5y = 150
5x + 5y = 125
5x = 25
x = 5
y = 20
If you work more than 5 hours per week at the higher wage, and 20 or less at the lower paying job (but totaling 25 hours) you will earn more than $150 per week. Plot a graph to show the allowed regions of x-y space.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Algebra - Solving system of linear equations by using the apropiate method name ...
- algebra 1 - Got a test tomorrow... Say you have a system of equations (linear), ...
- Algebra 1 Solving Systems Using Elimination - What is the solution of the system...
- Algebra - solve the linear system using substitution 4x - y=5 4x + 4y= -4 Also ...
- algebra - solve the linear system from problem 1 using elimination 4x-y=5 4x+4y...
- math/algebra - I need help solving the linear system using substitution of the ...
- solving systems by elimination - What is the solution to the linear system –4x...
- algebra - solve the linear system by using elimination. x-1/2y = 11/2 -x+4y = 26...
- Math - Solve the linear system by using elimination. 6x+y=39 -2x+y=-17
- Math - x+3y=1 -5x+4y=-24 Solve the linear system by using elimination