Posted by physics on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 at 6:38pm.
here is my question: A bullet with a mass of 6.00 g is fired through a 1.25 kg block of wood on a frictionless surface. The initial speed of the bullet is 896 m/s, and the speed of the bullet after it exits the block is 435 m/s. At what speed does the block move after the bullet through it.
here is my answer: mass of bullet = 6gm
= 6/1000 kg = .800kg
let 'v' be speed of block. apply law of conservation of energy
initial energy of (block+bullet)
= final energy of (block+bullet)
kinetic energy=1/2 mV^2 (formula)
solve for v: 1/2x.006*(896)^2=1/2.006*(435)^2 +1/2(1.25)(v)^2
please show me if there is a simpler way to write this out. please write out the equaiton and fill in the appropriate data.
i think what i have is too confusing
physics - bobpursley, Wednesday, March 11, 2009 at 7:24pm
No. Energy is not converved when the bullet hits the block, momentum, however, is.
solve for vblock
physics - physics, Wednesday, March 11, 2009 at 7:41pm
can you please show me?
physics - Anonymous, Thursday, December 31, 2015 at 3:13pm
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- physics - a bullet with a mass of 6.00 g is fired through a 1.25 kg block of ...
- Physics - A bullet with a mass of 4.0 g and a speed of 650 m/s is fired at a ...
- Physic - A bullet with a mass of 4.0 g and a speed of 736 m/s is fired at a ...
- physics - An 7.95 g bullet is fired horizontally into a 9.03 kg block of wood on...
- physics - 1) a bullet of mass 0.02 kg is fired into a block of wood of mass 1.5 ...
- physics - A ballistics pendulum is a device used to measure the speed of a fast ...
- Physics - A bullet with a mass of 0.01kg is fired horizontally into a block of ...
- Physics- so confused!! - A bullet with a mass of 5.40 g is fired horizontally at...
- physics - The ballistic pendulum is a device used to measure the speed of a fast...
- Physics - A 2.50g bullet, traveling at a speed of 425m/s, strikes the wooden ...