Posted by Lucy X on Monday, March 9, 2009 at 9:18pm.
(Apparently, I'm not allowed to post URLs, but this question is better illustrated by a diagram, i39. tinypic. com/ 17e336. jpg)
<--P--[BOX A]<--Q--[BOX B]<--R--[BOX C]
There are three boxes attached together with string and being pulled across a frictionless surface. Box A has a mass of 2 kg, box B has a mass of 4 kg and box C has a mass of 4 kg. The strings are labelled P, Q and R respectively.
The force of tension for string P is 250 N. I have to find the force of tension for strings Q and R.
On a system diagram of the entire system, I already found the acceleration (a = F/m = (250/10) = 25 m/s^2). This acceleration is the same for the whole system, right? But I don't know how to find the forces of tension for strings Q and R.
- Physics - bobpursley, Monday, March 9, 2009 at 9:28pm
Yes, the acceleration is for all of them.
The tension on each string is the mass following that string times the acceleration.
- Physics - Anonymous, Monday, March 9, 2009 at 9:35pm
Then for FTQ (force of tension of string Q):
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Physics - The diagram for this problem is a pulley. On the left end Box 1 is ...
- Science last question - Which of the following boxes would have the strongest ...
- Physics - The drawing shows two boxes resting on frictionless ramps. One box is ...
- physics - The drawing shows two boxes resting on frictionless ramps. One box is ...
- Physics - There is a box resting on a table connected to a second box hanging ...
- phisics - The drawing shows two boxes resting on frictionless ramps. One box is ...
- Physics - 1) A box m1 = 9.30 kg is stacked on top of another box m2 = 20.0 kg, ...
- physics - TWO BOXES A AND B ARE LYING ON THE TABLE AND ARE CONNECTED BY A PIECE ...
- Physics - A box of mass 50.0 kg is connected to a second box with a mass of 54.0...
- physics - Boxes A and B are connected to each end of a light vertical rope. A ...