Posted by Meaghan on Saturday, March 7, 2009 at 11:22pm.
1) A private airplane leaves an airport and flies due south at 192 km/h. Two hours later a jet leaves at the same airport and flies due south at 960 km/h. When will the jet overtake the plane?
t = time
192(t+3) = 960
2)An airplane flew for 4 hours with a 20-km/h tail wind. The return flight against the same wind took 5 hours. Find the speed of the plane in still air.
r = rate in which the plane is moving
4(r+20 = 5(r-20)
3) It takes a passenger train 2 hours less time than it takes a reight train to make the trip from Central City to Clear Creek. The passenger train averages 96 km/h while the freight train averages 63 km/h. How far is it from Central City to Clear Creek?
On this one, I don't know.
- Algebra: 8th Grade; Equation Check - drwls, Sunday, March 8, 2009 at 12:45am
3) freight train's time = D/63
= D/96 + 2
D/63 - D/96 = 33 D /6048 = 2
D = 12096/33 = 366.55 miles
- Algebra: 8th Grade (#1) - drwls, Sunday, March 8, 2009 at 12:51am
1) You had the wrong equation on the first one. It should be
192(t+3) = 960t, where t is the time the jet plane leaves.
2) Your equation is ok here, if r is the speed in still air
- Algebra: 8th Grade; Equation Check - Meaghan, Sunday, March 8, 2009 at 1:18am
I don't get number 3
and I am sorry, but I made a typo.
The freight train travels at 64 km/h.
If the passenger train takes 2 hours LESS time than it takes the Freight train to make the trip from Central Park to Clear Creek.
how is the equation:
D/63 = D/96 + 2
shouldn't it be d/96 = d/64 - 2 ??
- Algebra: 8th Grade; Equation Check - drwls, Sunday, March 8, 2009 at 3:37am
With 64 instead of 63 you will get an integer answer, 12096/32 = 378. Do the math the same way.
d/96 = d/64 - 2 is basically what I wrote, but rearranged and with your corrected 64 in place of the 63.
- Algebra: 8th Grade; Equation Check - aliyah, Thursday, March 12, 2009 at 7:58pm
how do i slove this problem? y<-3
- Algebra: 8th Grade; Equation Check - kennethia, Saturday, March 28, 2009 at 8:36pm
what is 4w-9(6-5w)=44;w=3
- Algebra: 8th Grade; Equation Check - Cody, Wednesday, August 19, 2009 at 6:12pm
1/2 times Y plus 3 = 15 What is the value of the Y
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- aljebra - A private plane leaves an airport and flies due east at 192 miles per ...
- algebra question - Marty leaves the airport in his private plane and flies due ...
- algebra - Marty leaves the airport in his private plane and flies due east at ...
- Math - An ordinary plane leaves an airport and flies due west at 180kph. Two ...
- Math - A plane leaves an airport X, 20.6degrees east and 36.8 north degrees and ...
- Math - A plane flies due east for 120 km from airport a to airport b it then ...
- Maths2 - A plane leaves an airport X,20.6degree east and 36.8 degree north,and ...
- Math - A plane leaves an airport and flies South 58 Degrees East for 2 hours, ...
- Ave maria catholic secondary school - an aeroplane leaves an airport,flies due ...
- Pre-Algebra - A Jet airplane leaves an airport traveling at a steady rate of ...