Posted by John on Friday, March 6, 2009 at 6:44am.
1. Jane has got 90 points. Mike has got 90 points as well. So Jane is as smart as Mike. They have the same degree of score.
2. Jane has lifted 20 kg weights.
Mike has lifted 20 kg weights.
Jane is as strong as Mike. So they hav e the same degree of strength.
3. Jane has just arrived at the finishing line. Mike has just arrived at the finishing line as well. Jane i s as fast as Mike. They have the same degree of fastness.
4. The baby looks sad on the bed. It looks hungry.
5. The baby on the bed looks happy. There are three hearts in the picture. It means the the baby looks happy. The baby is smiling.
6. The baby has a play thing (doll). it looks sleepy on the bed.
7. Find a person or a thing that has the same degree, and talk about that with your partner.
(Are the sentences all grammatical? Would you check them? I want to use correct English expressions.)
- English - Writeacher, Friday, March 6, 2009 at 7:56am
1. Delete the instances of the word "got" - otherwise, it reads fine.
2 is correct.
3. Change "finishing" to "finish" and change "fastness" to "speed."
4 is fine.
5 is fine except for the repeated instance of "the." Remove one of them.
In 6, I'd change "play thing (doll)" to simply "toy" or "doll." Then you need to clarify "it" -- is "it referring to the baby or the toy?
In 7, you should change "the same degree" to "a similar quality" - otherwise, it's fine.
- English - PsyDAG, Friday, March 6, 2009 at 1:06pm
To add to Writeteacher's excellent suggestions:
1, 2 and 3. You can also eliminate "degree of."
4. "It" infers an inanimate (lifeless) object. It would be better to use "she" or "he", depending on the sex of the child.
5. The "three hearts" typically symbolize "love," which is more specific than "happy." Smiling indicates happiness, so it might be better if you reversed the last two sentences.
I hope this helps a little more. Thanks for asking.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- English - 1. Jane and Mike are the same in score. Jane and Mike are the same in ...
- English - what does it mean when someone said? how is Mike,Is he behaving ...
- Physics - John is driving at a constant speed of 20.0 m/s when he passes Jane, ...
- math! - 1. in a basketball game, mike scored 20% of the team's points. if mike ...
- Math/Physics - John is driving at a constant speed of 20.0 m/s when he passes ...
- Math - Gerry and Jane play a trivia game. Gerry's score is -17 and Jane score is...
- Psychology - Star and her brother, Mike, produce roughly the same levels of male...
- PSAT - Math - Hello, I am reviewing my psat and looking at the questions I got ...
- Math - Josh and Mike live 13 miles apart. Yesterday Josh started to ride his ...
- Physics - Jane and John, with masses of 50 kg and 60 kg, respectively, stand on ...