Posted by jojo on Thursday, March 5, 2009 at 8:25pm.
solve each system of equation algebraically:
- math b - Damon, Thursday, March 5, 2009 at 8:26pm
Do you mean the circle
x^2+y^2 = 18 ?
- math b - jojo, Thursday, March 5, 2009 at 8:34pm
- math b - Damon, Thursday, March 5, 2009 at 8:36pm
Making that assumption, we are looking for where the straight line:
y = -1x + 4
which has a slope of -1 and goes through (0,4) and (4,0)
hits the circle with center at the origin and radius 3 sqrt 2 which is about 4.24
Sketch a graph so we will get an idea of how the solution should look.
substitute y = -x + 4 into the circle
x^2 + (-x+4)^2 = 18
x^2 + x^2 - 8 x + 16 = 18
2 x^2 -8 x -2 = 0
x^2 - 4 x -1 = 0
x = (1/2)[ 4 +/- sqrt (16 +4)]
x = (1/2) [ 4 +/- 2 sqrt 5]
x = 2 +/- sqrt 5
find the y for each of those x values
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- System of equation - solve algebraically x^2 + y^2 = 16 x - y = 4
- math - solve the following system of equations algebraically or graphically for ...
- PreCalculus - PLEASE HELP ME ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!! :) I really need to remember on ...
- Math - 1/2z - 1/4w = 1/6 1/2z + 1/4w = 1/6 Solve the system of equations ...
- math b - solve each system of equations algebraically: x^2+y^2=18 x+y=4
- math - solve the system algebraically and graphically 32x^2+9y^2=324 3y^2-x^2=3
- Math - Solve the system of equations algebraically . show all your steps. Y=x^2+...
- Math - Solve the system of equations algebraically. Show all of your steps. Y=x^...
- MATH - Solve system of equations algebraically. 1. 3x-3y=24 and 2x+5y=-37 2. -9x...
- pre-calculus 11 - I am asked to solve the absolute value equation of |1/2x +1...