Posted by ANONYMOUS.... on Tuesday, March 3, 2009 at 2:50pm.
Determine whether the quadratic function has a minimum or maximum value.Then find the coordinates of the minimum or maximum point.
- ALGEBRA - Reiny, Tuesday, March 3, 2009 at 3:28pm
if you know Calculus, then
f'(x) = 4x - 4
= 0 for a max/min
4(x-1) = 0
x = 1
then f(1) = 2-4 = -2
so (1,-2) is a min (since the parabola opens upwards)
if you don't know Calculus, use "completing the square" to find the vertex
f(x) = 2[x^2 - 2x + 1 - 1 ]
= 2[(x-1)^2 - 1]
= 2(x-1)^2 - 2
so the vertex is (1,-2) as above
you could use the formula:
the x of the vertex is -b/(2a)
- ALGEBRA - Damon, Tuesday, March 3, 2009 at 3:30pm
y = 2 (x^2-2x)
dy/dx = 2 (2x-2) = extreme at x = 1
d^2y/dx^2 = 4 so that extreme is a minimum
at x = 1
f(1) = -2
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Algebra- Maximum and minimum. - I dont understand how to find the maximum and ...
- math - Determine whether the given quadratic function has a minimum value or ...
- Maximum and Minimum - Its been awhile since I have done compleating the square, ...
- algebra - determine the given quadratic function has a minimum valueor maximum ...
- Algebra2 - Complete parts a – c for each quadratic function: a. Find the y-...
- Algebra - Consider the quadratic function f(x) = – x^2 + 10x – 26. Determine ...
- math - 1.How is the maximum or minimum point of the original quadratic function ...
- algebra - given the following quadratic equation, determine if it has a maximum ...
- Algebra2 - Complete parts a – c for each quadratic function. a. Find the y-...
- Algebra - Find the vertex, the line of symmetry, the maximum or minimum of the ...