Posted by Kim on Monday, March 2, 2009 at 11:52pm.
How do you solve this:
Consider the decomposition of ammonium chloride at a cerain temperature
NH4Cl(s) <- NH3(g) + HCl(g)
Calculate the equilibrium constant Kp if the total pressure is 2.2 atm at that temperature.
- Chemistry - DrBob222, Tuesday, March 3, 2009 at 12:01am
I think I would do the following:
NH4Cl(s) ==> NH3(g) + HCl(g)
Ptotal = PNH3 + PHCl
2.2 atm = PNH3 + PHCl
From the equation, PNH3 = PHCl; therefore,
2.2 = 2PNH3 and you can go from there.
Then substitute partial pressures into
Kp = PNH3*PHCl to find Kp.
- Chemistry - Kim, Tuesday, March 3, 2009 at 12:29am
thank you. so what did you get as a final answer for this problem then? and what did u do after doing 2.2=2PHN3
and after subsituting the partial pressure??
- Chemistry - DrBob222, Tuesday, March 3, 2009 at 12:38am
The remainder of the problem is up to you. We try to HELP you do the work but we don't do it. You can substitute and calculate Kp; it's just multiplying two numbers together.
- Chemistry - Anonymous, Tuesday, July 17, 2012 at 4:05pm
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- chemistry - A sample of only solid ammonium chloride was heated in a 1 L ...
- Chemistry - Consider the following equilibrium: NH4Cl(s)--->NH3(g) + HCl(g) ...
- Chemistry - Another Equilibrium Question! The following reaction is at ...
- chemistry - calculate the equilibrium constant for the reactionas written at ...
- CHEMISTRY - Ammonia and gaseious hydrogen chloride combine to form ammonium ...
- Chemistry - A 10.0-g sample of solid NH4Cl is heated in a 5.00-L container to ...
- chemistry - One mole of solid NH4Cl (s) isvheated in a closed box to decompose ...
- plz..chemistry help - One mole of solid NH4Cl (s) isvheated in a closed box to ...
- chemistry - write a formula equation for the following equation:Ammonia reactsa ...
- chem - The following equilibrium pressures were observed at a certain ...