Posted by Jake on Monday, March 2, 2009 at 11:00pm.
Include an explanation, balanced chemical equation, units, significant figures and/or calculations where appropriate.
Determination of the Molar Mass of an Unknown Acid
0.499 g unknown acid
24.07 mL NaOH
0.501 g unknown acid
23.71 mL NaOH
0.500 g unknown acid
24.15 mL NaOH
Using the data presented above, calculate the molar mass of the unknown acid. Include the calculation for each trial and the average.
- Chemistry - DrBob222, Monday, March 2, 2009 at 11:21pm
Is this a duplicate post? See my response below.
- Chemistry - Jake, Monday, March 2, 2009 at 11:49pm
No, this is not a duplicate. The other question refers to molarity. This one is asking for molar mass of an unknown acid.
For this question would I do the following...
Start with the volume of NaOH then convert it to moles with the answer from the first question.
Use stoichiometry to find the number of moles of HX (unknown acid).
Then divide the mass of the acid by the number of moles of the acid to find the molar mass.
- Chemistry - DrBob222, Monday, March 2, 2009 at 11:54pm
moles NaOH = M x L
You must have some knowledge about the unknown compound; I assume you were told that it took 1 or 2 or 3 moles NaOH to react with it (or the information could have been in another form such as monoprotic, diprotic, or triprotic acid).
Convert moles NaOH to moles unknown.
Then moles = g/molar mass.
You have moles and grams, calculate molar mass.
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- Chemistry - Include an explanation, balanced chemical equation, units, ...
- Chemistry - Three samples of an unknown acid are titrated with 0.4901 M NaOH. ...
- Chemistry - Using the data collected for part b on your data sheet, calculate ...
- CHEMISTRY PLEASE HELP - Using the data collected for part b on your data sheet, ...
- chem - The following state were collected for determining the concentration of ...
- Chem - The following state were collected for determining the concentration of ...
- CHEM - The following data were collected for determining the concentration of ...
- Chemistry - I there, this is my lab worksheet, I am having trouble filling it ...
- Chemistry - Expt #1- Molecular Weight of Unknown Acid Unknown Acid: #2 Mass of ...
- Chemistry - Determine the molar mass of the unknown acid.? A 0.167-g sample of ...