Posted by CHEMISTRY on Monday, March 2, 2009 at 7:34pm.
Ammonia,is a weak base with a Ka value of 1.8x10^-5 .What is the pH of a 0.22M ammonia solution?
What is the percent ionization of ammonia at this concentration?
I got the answer for PartA which is pH=11.3. but i cant slove PartB..HELP!!!
- CHEMISTRY - GK, Monday, March 2, 2009 at 7:53pm
Ammonia has a Kb of 1.8x10^-5 (NOT the Ka)
Kb = [NH4+][OH-] / [NH3]
Let [OH-] = [OH-] = x
1.8x10^-5 = x^2/(0.22-x)
We can get an adequate approximate solution by assuming
1.8x10^-5 = x^2/(0.22)
x = [OH-] = 0.00199
pOH = -log(0.00199) = 2.7
pH = 11.3 (your answer)
The approximate % ionization is:
[(0.00199) / (0.22)](100) = _______?
- CHEMISTRY - chem, Monday, March 2, 2009 at 8:27pm
thanx a tons =)
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- chem help - Ammonia,is a weak base with a Ka value of 1.8x10^-5 .What is the pH ...
- Chemistry - Ammonia has the formula NH3. Household ammonia is a dilute aqueous ...
- Chemistry - Ammonia, NH3 is freely soluble in water, and has the value Kb=1.8x10...
- Chemistry - Equilibrium - You have an unknown concentration of ammonia. When you...
- Chemistry - Science (Dr. Bob222) - Ammonia is a weak base with a Kb of 1.8 x 10-...
- chemistry - I am doing a home lab experiment about acid-base neutralization. I ...
- Chemistry - calculate the pH of a 0.2moldm-3 solution of ammonia at 298K given ...
- chemistry - 4.The Kb of ammonia, NH3, is 1.8x10^-5. What is the pH of a 2.000 ...
- Chemistry - A 51.46 mL sample of an ammonia solution is analyzed by titration ...
- Chem II - Ammonia is a weak base. If Ammonium nitrate is added to it, the pH of ...