Posted by Rene on Monday, March 2, 2009 at 2:26pm.
Suppose that a person with a reach of 27 inches and a shoulder height of 5 feet is standing upright on a mountainside that makes a 62 degrees angle with the horizontal..Can the person touch the mountain?
MATH!!! - Reiny, Monday, March 2, 2009 at 3:02pm
still trying to figure out how you can "stand" on a mountainside that makes an angle of 62º with the horizontal.
If so, then the persons legs would make an angle of 28º with the side of the mountain.
5 feet = 60 inches
so are you asking
is x < 27 , if x/60 = tan 28 ?
I get x = 31.9
so what do you think?
MATH!!! - Mz. Suzie, Monday, March 2, 2009 at 3:17pm
i was saying the person cant touch the mountain because this is just impossible regardless of the math one does...but i don't why it is impossible
MATH!!! - Rene, Monday, March 2, 2009 at 3:35pm
but that is what im trying to find out..why its is impossible?
MATH!!! - Reiny, Monday, March 2, 2009 at 3:52pm
my math showed that it is not possible
from her shoulder to the mountainside is 31.9 inches, her reach is only 27 inches.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- MATH!!! - Suppose that a person with a reach of 27 inches and a shoulder height ...
- Trigonometry - a person standing 400 feet from the base of a mountain measures ...
- math - A person is standing 90 feet away from the Space Needle. The person looks...
- Physics - A 70 kg person is having a tug-of-war. The rope is horizontal and 1.3 ...
- trig - A person is standing 90 feet away from the Space Needle. The person looks...
- Math - In this diagram, one person is standing at point A, one person is at ...
- trigonometric - A person standing 600 ft from the base of a mountain measures ...
- math - According to the center of Science in the Public Interest, the maximum ...
- GEOMETRY - A PERSON STANDING 30 FEET FROM A FLAGPOLE CAN SEE THE TOP OF THE POLE...
- precalculus - Two people standing 30 feet apart look east at the top of a tree. ...