Posted by Cassie on Friday, February 27, 2009 at 6:01pm.
Solve the system of equations using substitution.
x + 4y = -5
3x - 8y = 45
When I tried to solve it, I got x=-17 and y=-3. When I plugged these into the first equation, it didn't work out at all. Could someone please show me the steps so I can see where I went wrong? Thank you!
- Algebra - Reiny, Friday, February 27, 2009 at 6:24pm
I doubled the first and added it to the second to get
5x = 35,
so x = 7, subbing that back I got y = -3
those values verify.
- Algebra - Cassie, Friday, February 27, 2009 at 6:28pm
MC-- 7th grade algebra.
Thanks for your help, Reiny!
- Algebra - cc, Friday, February 27, 2009 at 11:20pm
since you need to solve the system of equations by substitution, solve the first equation for x by subtracting 4y from both sides. You will get x = -5 - 4y.
Next substitute this expression into the x of the 2nd equation to get
3(-5 - 4y)- 8y =45
Now use the distributive property to get
-15 -12y - 8y =45
simplify to get
-15 -20y = 45 (when you combine to negatives you get a negative answer)
add 15 to both sides and you get
-20y = 60
divide both sides by -20 to get y = -3.
Now replace this answer into the first equation or the x = -5 - 4y equation to get x= -5 - 4(-3) = -5 + 12 = 7
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Substitution Method-Plz help - Use the Substitution method to solve the system ...
- ALGEBRA 1!PLZ HELP! - Use the Substitution method to solve the system of ...
- Math - Solve the system using any algebraic method. 2x - 2y + z = 3 5y - z = -31...
- algebra - i need help with these problems (either a solution or how to plug them...
- Algebra Multiple Choice - Hello, This is the last of questions I have for my ...
- Substitution Method - Use the Substitution method to solve the system of ...
- Linear Equations - Can you please help solve this equation using the ...
- How do I do this.?(Math.) - Use the Substitution method to solve the system of ...
- Algebra 2 - Solve each system. x-4y-6z=-34 -7x+5y-7z=-24 z=5x-7y+18 These are my...
- Algebra - To solve the system of equations, which expression could be ...