Posted by angela on Thursday, February 26, 2009 at 7:54am.
A student walks and jogs to college each day. She averages 5km/h walking and 9km/h jogging. The distance from home to college is 8km and she makes the trip in 1 hour. How far does the student jog.
To set up the equation I got:
but this gives me a negative number for the walking.
WHAT IS THE CORRECT WAY TO SET UP AND SOLVE THE EQUATION?
- math algebra - Damon, Thursday, February 26, 2009 at 8:02am
You x is TIME, not distance
5(x) + 9 (1-x) = 8
5 x + 9 -9 x = 8
- 4x = - 1
x = 1/4 or 15 minutes walking
3/4 hour jogging
3/4 * 9 = 27/4 = 6.75 km jogging
- math algebra - mark, Thursday, February 26, 2009 at 8:06am
OOOH! I see, thanks for the help!
- math algebra - surer, Thursday, February 26, 2009 at 10:26am
i need help with my homewok please help out and is hard that why i am asking help.
- math algebra (surer) - drwls, Thursday, February 26, 2009 at 5:57pm
Post your question separately, not as part of this question. Click on the link at the top labeled "Post a new question"
Answer this Question
- algebra - A student walks and jogs to college each day.She averages 5km/h ...
- math - On a treadmill, Andrea walks a distance of 2 km. She then doubles the ...
- physics - a man walks 8km North and then 5km in a. direction 60degrees. find ...
- math - sherie exercises each day. she can walk a mile in 20 minutes, but if she ...
- math - a man walks 8km north and 5km in a direction east of north.find the ...
- Math - Linda jogs every 3rd day and swims every 4th day. If she is jogging on ...
- algebra...redo. - Yesterday Lucy walked 2 hours and jogged 1/2 hour and covered ...
- Math - can you help i dnt know what to do so could you tell me how to solve it 1...
- physics - a boy walks to a school at a rate of 6km with a speed of 2.5km/h and ...
- Math - Am having trouble figuring out how to work this problem. We are currently...