Posted by Anneliese on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 at 5:19pm.
Find all solutions to the following system of equations:
x + 3y + 2z = 6
-3x + y + 5z = 29
-2x - 3y + z = 14
This just did not work out for me. Here is my work:
I first solved Equation #1 for x.
x = -3y - 2z + 6
Then, I did substitution, and replaced x for -3y - 2z + 6 in equations #2 and 3.
-3(-3y - 2z +6) + y + 5z = 29
-2(-3y - 2z +6) - 3y + z = 14
That is the same as:
10y + 11z = 47
3y + 5z = 26
Would elimination be the next step?
- Algebra - Reiny, Wednesday, February 25, 2009 at 5:25pm
why not use elimination right from the beginning
look at the y's
If you add the first and the last, they are gone
If you add 3times the second to the last, they are gone.
now you have 2 equations in x and z
- Question - Anneliese, Wednesday, February 25, 2009 at 5:37pm
I finished it up like I said with elimination and got y = -3. Is this correct?
If not, I'll try it the way you suggested with elimination the whole way through.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- algebra - 1)What is the 4x^2=y^2+8y+32 answer= either hyperbola or parabola 2)...
- Algebra - Find the number of the solutions to each system. a. 4x-y+1=0 4x-y+3=0 ...
- Algebra - Find the number of solutions for this system of equations. 3x + 5y = ...
- Algebra - Suppose a linear system of equations has 2012 equations and 2013 ...
- @someone who can show me how to do this - Hi I'm Aluminum<3 Helping and C.S.I...
- Math - I am stuck on trying to figure out how to do this question. Could someone...
- math - How do you solve system of equations and tell if they're consistant and ...
- math - Determine the number of solutions for the following system of equations ...
- algebra - 5x=7+4y 20x-16y=28 how many solutions are there for the system of ...
- college algebra--need help please!! - solve the equation in the real number ...