Posted by Anneliese on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 at 5:19pm.
Find all solutions to the following system of equations:
x + 3y + 2z = 6
-3x + y + 5z = 29
-2x - 3y + z = 14
This just did not work out for me. Here is my work:
I first solved Equation #1 for x.
x = -3y - 2z + 6
Then, I did substitution, and replaced x for -3y - 2z + 6 in equations #2 and 3.
-3(-3y - 2z +6) + y + 5z = 29
-2(-3y - 2z +6) - 3y + z = 14
That is the same as:
10y + 11z = 47
3y + 5z = 26
Would elimination be the next step?
- Algebra - Reiny, Wednesday, February 25, 2009 at 5:25pm
why not use elimination right from the beginning
look at the y's
If you add the first and the last, they are gone
If you add 3times the second to the last, they are gone.
now you have 2 equations in x and z
- Question - Anneliese, Wednesday, February 25, 2009 at 5:37pm
I finished it up like I said with elimination and got y = -3. Is this correct?
If not, I'll try it the way you suggested with elimination the whole way through.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Algebra - Find the number of the solutions to each system. a. 4x-y+1=0 4x-y+3=0 ...
- Algebra - Find the number of solutions for this system of equations. 3x + 5y = ...
- algebra - 1)What is the 4x^2=y^2+8y+32 answer= either hyperbola or parabola 2)...
- Algebra - Suppose a linear system of equations has 2012 equations and 2013 ...
- math - Determine the number of solutions for the following system of equations ...
- algebra - 5x=7+4y 20x-16y=28 how many solutions are there for the system of ...
- math - The equations x+ ky + 2z =0 x + (2k-1)y + 3z =0 x + ky + (k+3)z = 2k-1 ...
- Maths - The equations x+ ky + 2z =0 x + (2k-1)y + 3z =0 x + ky + (k+3)z = 2k-1 ...
- Algebra - How many solutions does this system of equations have? y = 4x + 3 and ...
- Algebra 2 Helpp :( - QUESTIONS (vvv) (1) Solve the system by subsitution 2x + y...