Posted by jenn on Monday, February 23, 2009 at 5:39pm.
the cost per hour of running an assembly line in a manufacturing plant is a function of the number of items produced per hour. The cost function is C(x) = 0.28x^2 - 0.7x + 1 where C(x) is the cost per hour in thousands of dollars and x is the number of items produced per hour in thousands. Determine the most economical production level.... i tried completing the square but i don't seem to get the right answer... please help
math - Reiny, Monday, February 23, 2009 at 5:55pm
completing the square:
C(x) = 0.28x^2 - 0.7x + 1
= .28[x^2 - 2.5x + .......] + 1
= .28[x^2 - 2.5x + 1.5625 - 1.5625] + 1
= .28(x-1.25)^2 + .5625
take it from there, remember x is in thousands
math - Damon, Monday, February 23, 2009 at 5:55pm
.28 x^2 - .7 x + 1 = y
divide both sides by .28
x^2 - 2.5 x + 3.57 = 3.57 y
x^2 - 2.5 x = 3.57 y -3.57
add 1.25^2 = 1.56 to both sides
x^2 - 2.5 x +1.56 = 3.57 y - 2.00
(x-1.25)^2 = 3.57 (y - .562)
so I get vertex at (1.25 , .562)
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math - Manny is a plumber and charges $50 when he visits a client and $30 per ...
- Math - A small truck is to be driven 300 miles on a freeway at a constant speed ...
- Economics - Earl’s production function is f(x1, x2) = x1^(1/2) * x2^(1/3), where...
- Economics - 2) Earl’s production function is f(x1, x2) = x1^(1/2) * x2^(1/3), ...
- ECONOMICS - Perfect Competition - Please check and correct my answers. Thank you...
- physics - The cost of gasoline per hour for running a certain car is directly ...
- calculus - Suppose the function G(t) represents a test grade (out of 100 points...
- algebra - The cost, c(x) in dollars in per hour of running a certain fishing ...
- ISBM - CASE STUDY : 2 The price P per unit at which a company can sell all that ...
- math - A airplane crosses the Atlantic Ocean (3000 miles) with an airspeed of ...