Posted by Julia on Saturday, February 14, 2009 at 5:06pm.
Chris takes out two loans. He borrows $800 more from a credit union that charges 12% interest than from a bank that charges 15% interest. If his interest payments total $420 annually, how much does he borrow at each rate?
- Algebra - Damon, Saturday, February 14, 2009 at 5:16pm
assuming no compunding of interest:
borrow x at .15
borrow (x+800) at .12
.15 x + .12 (x+800) = 420
- Algebra - Reiny, Saturday, February 14, 2009 at 5:17pm
let his loan from the bank be $x
let the loan from the credit union be $(x+800)
.15x + .12(x+800) = 420
solve for x, let me know what you got.
- Algebra - Julia, Saturday, February 14, 2009 at 5:21pm
There has to be two equations. I got 1,200 for x...
- Algebra - Damon, Saturday, February 14, 2009 at 5:39pm
1200 and 2000 are the correct amounts.
- Algebra - Damon, Saturday, February 14, 2009 at 5:44pm
If you really, really, want to make two equations out of this:
x = amount at .15
y = amount at .12
.15 x + .12 y = 420
y = x + 800
then substitute equation 2 into equation 1
.15 x + .12(x+800) = 420
which is where we started.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math - Alice took out a $15,000 loan for college. She is borrowing money from ...
- math - Jessica has a credit card from party bank and another from artic bank. ...
- Math - A customer purchased a car and financed $16,000. The customer borrowed ...
- math - you borrow $1200 from a bank that bank charges 9.5% simple annual ...
- Algebra - Susan charges twice as much money on credit card with a 7.5% annual ...
- Math - New Hampshire is giving payday lenders the gong as it rings in the new ...
- Math - Sue can either borrow 10,000 dollars for 5 years with a simple interest ...
- Algebra - Joanie takes a $6000 loan to pay for her car. The interest rate on the...
- algebra - student takes out two loans 1 at 10% and the other at 12 percent ...
- math - A credit card company charges 7% simple interest. What is the total ...