Posted by Katy on Thursday, February 12, 2009 at 6:07pm.
Write a system of inequalities to describe the shaded area of the graph.
This is the question on my homework today that i just don't get. My teacher said to use point slope form.
The coordianate points of the triangular area are
line 1: (2,1),(7,9)
line 2: (7,9),(11,3)
line 3: (2,1), (11,3)
(i wish that i could just show you the graph.
Kay, so i know that lines 1 and 2 are going to be less than or equal to, and line 3 will be greater than or equal to. However, after I put it into the formula, (which i don't think i got quite right) i don't know if that's the final part of writing the system.
for line 1, i think that i got something like:
Is this right? Also, is this the last part of making this fit into a system?(i think it looks too wierd to leave like that) Any help or tips is VERY much appreciated. Thanks.
- Algebra - bobpursley, Thursday, February 12, 2009 at 6:39pm
I assume the acceptable values are in the triangle.
so for the bottom line:
y=mx+b the two points are 2,1 and 11,3
y=2/9 x+ b ( m= (y1-y2)/(x1-x2)
then to solve for b
3=2/9 *11 + b
so the solution area here, is all above the line, or y>2x/9 + 5/9
Now consider the left line
y=mx+ b (m= (9-1)/7-2)=8/5
y=8x/5+b solve for b...
and the solution set is below the line,or
Then to the last line the same way, the solution set will be below that line.
Those three equations are your system of inequalities.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math - i have more than one question so if u no any of the answers please tell ...
- Math - Graph the system of inequalities presented here on your own paper, then ...
- Systems of Inequalities-8th Grade Algebra - Graph the equation. The graph will ...
- algebra - Graph the system of inequalities x¡Ü2 y¡Ý-2x+4 I am having trouble ...
- algebra - y<x^2+8x+20 y>=-x^2-10x-20 what is the solution of the system of...
- algebra - directions Write a system of inequalities for the shaded region ...
- MATH - Solve by finding y and graph using the slope and y-intercept: 3x-y=1 x-y=...
- algebra - write an equation for a graph in slope-intercept form if the slope of ...
- Algebra - Given a line containing the points(1,4), (2,7) and (3,10) determine ...
- algebra1 - graph the system of inequalities, and classify the figure created bu ...