Posted by Alex on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 at 6:51am.
Two bodies with equal masses orbit the Sun in a circular orbit. If the radii of the two orbits are the same then following is true:
a) The orbital period of the two bodies is the same because their masses are the same.
b) Their orbital period of the two cannot be the same because their orbital planes are
perpendicular to each other
c) Their orbital periods are the same because the radii is the same
d) none of the above.
I want to say the answer is c) because isn't period only dependent on radii?
The source of internal heat within the Earth is:
Is it radioactivity?
Astronomy - Dr Russ, Wednesday, February 11, 2009 at 7:46am
c) Kepler's third law. The square of the orbital period of a planet (time taken for a complete orbit) is directly proportional to the cube of the semi-major axis of its orbit (the average distance from the sun).
And, yes, radioactivity (from the uranium decay series).
Astronomy - drwls, Wednesday, February 11, 2009 at 8:46am
Residual heat left over from the formation of the earth is also important. Much of the interior remains molten. Friction from tectonic plate motion and tidal forces (mainly due to the Moon) also generates heat.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- physics - As Newton showed, gravity is a force that acts along the line ...
- Physics - Three masses, m1 (a mouse), m2 (a bear) and m3 (an elephant), are in ...
- Physics! - The two stars in a certain binary star system move in circular orbits...
- Dynamics - True or false (Each question carries 1 marks) (i) A rigid body is an ...
- Physics Classical Mechanics - A planet has a single moon that is solely ...
- Algebra - A satellite is in orbit around the earth, traveling at a rate of 85.4 ...
- Physics - The radius of the earth's orbit around the sun (assumed to be circular...
- Physics - A comet orbits the Sun with a period of 72.0 yr. (a) Find the ...
- physics - A comet orbits the Sun with a period of 72.8 yr. (a) Find the ...
- Astronomy - "If the Sun were magically replaced with a giant rock that had ...