Posted by Nessie on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 at 4:42pm.
Translate each problem into a system of equations. DO NOT attempt to solve. JUST write the equation(s).
Mountainside Fleece sold 40 neckwarmers. Solid color neckwarmers sold for $9.90 each and print ones sold for $12.75 each. In all, $421.65 was taken in for the neckwarmers. How many of each type were sold?
I do not need to solve the equation. I just do not know how to take the provided information and make equations. My teacher told me that I would probably have to make two equations with two variables (x and y). Does anyone know how to do this?
Thanks so much!
Here's what I got.... - Nessie, Tuesday, February 10, 2009 at 4:50pm
Equation #1: x + y = 40
Equation #2: 9.90x + 12.75y = 421.65
Am I correct?
Algebra - drwls, Tuesday, February 10, 2009 at 4:53pm
Looks like you have that part figured out, too! Keep up the good work
Algebra - Reiny, Tuesday, February 10, 2009 at 4:55pm
I always insisted that my students define the variables used.
Let the number of Solid color neckwarmers be x
let the number of print neckwarmers by y
- then form your equations
Thanks, both of you! - Nessie, Tuesday, February 10, 2009 at 5:03pm
Thank you for helping me! :-)
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Algebra - Mountainside Fleece sold 40 neckwarmers. Solid-color neckwarmers sold ...
- college algebra - Using Systems of Equations. Please help!!! I'm not sure what ...
- Algebra - Translate each situation to a system of equations. Do not attempt to ...
- Algerbra - One day a store sold 35 sweatshirts. White ones cost $9.95 and yellow...
- College algebra - One day a store sold 31 sweatshirts. White ones cost $11.95 ...
- Math - one day a store sold 21 sweatshirts. White ones cost $10.95 and yellow ...
- Math - One day a store sold 30 sweatshirts. White ones cost $9.95 and yellow ...
- 11th grade Algebra 2 - A retaurant sold a total of 418 largeand small hanburgers...
- algebra - Ticket Prices Two hundred tickets were sold for a baseball game, which...
- math - equation pete and tom sold 41cds and tom sold 9more,.how many did pete ...