Posted by Julissa on Monday, February 9, 2009 at 1:02am.
Is there really such a thing as altruism? Why or why
not? What motivates people to help?
please help me answer this question I don't know the meaning of Altruism?
Psy285 - DAS, Monday, February 9, 2009 at 1:04am
Altruism is the selfless concern for the welfare of others. In order to answer this question you have to think why people help others (which is more philosophical).
Psy285 - bobpursley, Monday, February 9, 2009 at 9:24am
I am always amazed at the opera in the back of the program the listings of contributors, listing them in categories such as
Or on buildings the nice cast plaques with names on them? Or even at my church's "memorial" garden, bricks with names on them.
Psy285 - PsyDAG, Monday, February 9, 2009 at 12:20pm
Altruism requires no extrinsic/external reward. The deed is self-rewarding (intrinsic). In other words, the good feeling you get — and possibly an improvement in your self image — is adequate. The plaques or listing of contributors are extrinsic. An anonymous donation would be intrinsic.
Here is an article that might help:
I hope this helps a little more. Thanks for asking.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- PSYCHOLOGY - Can you think of situations when the egoistic model of altruism ...
- Social Psychology - Explain altruism from your point of view. Do you believe ...
- Psychology/Essay question - Dissent and altruism are a matter of personal ...
- philosophy 208 - According to the video “Religion, War, and Violence,” Just War ...
- Criminal Justice - Which of the following principles approves or disapproves of ...
- Geography please help - this religion believes in karma or that the actions in ...
- english - use words 9-15 in a creative story. can you please help me!! besiege ...
- science - What do altruism and kin selection have to do with natural selection?
- Introduction of Psychology - Mr. Lunn's class is walking down the hall using ...
- pyschology - I have to write a paper on the following question: Dissent and ...