Posted by Sev on Friday, February 6, 2009 at 3:36pm.
Hey guys I did a lab and I have to answer the questions relating to the lab. I did question 1 & 2, can someone check if they are correct, and question 3 I don't know how to do it.
1. Calculation to Determine the molecular weight of unknown substance
Mass of unknown used: 2.0 g
Mass of water used: 50.0 g (0.05kg)
Kf = 1.86°C kg/mole
Experimentally determined freezing point of unknown: -1°C
Solution = delta Tf/-Kf
= -1°C/-1.86°C kg/mole
= 0.538 m (molality)
Molar mass = 2g / 0.05 kg * 0.538 m
= 74.4 g/mol
2. Calculations to determine i for KCl solution:
Kf = 1.86°C kg/mole
Experimentally determined freezing point of KCl: -1°C
m KCl (given): 0.1 m (molality)
Solution: i = measured delta Tf/ expected delta Tf
= -1°C /-1.86°C kg/mole * 0.1m KCl
i = 5.376
3. Explain why i has this value = ??
- chemistry, freezing point depression - bobpursley, Friday, February 6, 2009 at 3:51pm
The first is correct IF the substance was non ionizing.
The thing that strikes me is precision. You measured the freezing point to ONE significant digit, and then did math with it. OUCH.
What if your measured deltaT in the second had been 1.4999, which is in tolerance for your 1 +-.5C measurement.
If it had been 1.49999, then i would have been 5.8, but if delta T had been .5, then i would have been 2.6 This is quite a range, .8 to 2.6. Frankly, I would have expected i to be 2.0 for KCl, which breaks into two ions.
So I attribute your results to lack of precision in measurements.
- chemistry, freezing point depression - Anonymous, Saturday, February 7, 2009 at 2:24pm
Do impurities take into account? for #3?
- chemistry, freezing point depression - ur class fella, Sunday, February 8, 2009 at 10:59pm
yeah it should be around or less den 2.
i mean the i should be = 2 because it breaks into to ions for KCL and i am getting 1.6. pretty close eh.
Answer this Question
- Chemistry - Hey guys I did a lab and I have to answer the questions relating to...
- Chemistry please help - Hey guys I did a lab and I have to answer the questions ...
- Chemistry------DrBobb.. - Lead metal is added to 0.140 Cr^3+(aq). Pb(s)+ 2Cr^3(...
- chemistry...DRBobb i have a questionnnn - We actually talked about this before ...
- chemistry - Ok, in my lab, I measured the freezing point of NaNO3 and it was 0....
- chemistry FP depression - if I had to choose a solvent for a freezing point ...
- chemistry - Hey, I was just struggling with a question that I need to figure out...
- chemistry - 1. Find the molality of the solution prepared by dissolving 0.238g ...
- chemistry - The freezing point of a 0.010 m aqueous solution of a nonvolatile ...
- AP BIOLOGY LAB - I am doing an ap biology lab on plant photosynthesis. It's ...