Posted by Ellen on Thursday, February 5, 2009 at 12:12am.
1. Oanh walked from her home to the grocery store at 3 mi/h and jogged home at 6 mi/h. Her total round trip was 15 minutes (1/4h). How far from Oanh's home is the grocery store? (use an equation to solve this)
Help, I am totally clueless on this.
- Reiny! Reiny! Reiny! - Reiny, Thursday, February 5, 2009 at 12:20am
let her time walking be t hours
then the distance she walked = 3t miles
let her time jogging back home be 1/4 - t hours
so the distance she jogged = 6(1/4 - t)
but aren't those two distances the same ?
3t = 6(1/4 - t)
I am sure you can solve this for t, then sub that value back into 3t to get the distance.
- Reiny! Reiny! Reiny! - Joy, Thursday, February 5, 2009 at 12:38am
Wait, I don't get it.
3t = 6 (1/4 - t)
and got 11.66666666666....
and then what do I do?
..or did I do that wrong?
- Reiny! Reiny! Reiny! - Reiny, Thursday, February 5, 2009 at 12:47am
3t = 6 (1/4 - t)
3t = 3/2 - 6t
9t = 3/2
t = 3/18 = 1/6
then 3t, which was the distance
= 3(1/6) = 1/2
so the distance is 1/2 mile
time walking = 1/2 ÷ 3 = 1/6 hour
time jogging = 1/2 ÷ 6 = 1/12 hour
1/6 + 1/12 = 2/12 + 1/12 = 3/12 = 1/4 hour
- Reiny! Reiny! Reiny! - Joy, Thursday, February 5, 2009 at 12:53am
Oh, i see.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- To Reiny - Reiny could you please check my Calculus post below, it says Calculus...
- algebra - Sheila leaves her home to go to her sister's house, which is a 24-mile...
- MAth word problem - lisa left home in a car that was traveling at the rate of 48...
- Math (Reiny??) - Mrs. Reiny ... As in Harris County Mrs. Reiny?
- math - you commute 63 miles one way to work. the trip to work takes 20 minutes ...
- physics - Mary walked north from her home to Sheila's home, which is 4.0 ...
- Reiny+ In need of help - Hey Reiny, could you please take a look at my expo ...
- Warren g Harding - Karina walked from home to the library did some homework ...
- Reiny - Reiny I think I have found out the rectangle problem. Could you check ...
- reiny - reiny why are you so smart thanks for aswering my question