Posted by Anonymous on Saturday, January 31, 2009 at 8:29pm.
f(x)=-4x-2 & g(x)=5x-6. Find (f*g) and state domain.
f(x)-x^2-1 what is the equation for f^-1(x)?
f(x)=3x+2, find f(f^-1(14)).
f(x)=4x+7 and g(x)=3x-5 find (f*g)(-4)
f(x)=sqrt x+3 what is equation for f^-1(x)?
Graph y=sqrt x-2 +5 which point lies on graph?
A(7,6) B(0,5) C(-2,5) D(3,6)
The graph y=sqrt x is shifted 6 points down and 1 unit right. Which equation represents the new graph.
y=sqrt x+1 -6
y=sqrt x-6 +1
y= sqrt x-1 -6
y= sqrt x+6-1
any help would be appreciated.
math-Inverse functions - drwls, Sunday, February 1, 2009 at 1:03am
I am not going to do all of these but will show you how to do one.
Your question is
f(x) = x^2-1
what is the equation for f^-1(x)?
f^-1(x) is called the inverse function of f(x). It is the function which gives you back "x" when you apply it to f(x)
Let's call f(x) just y, to make the notation look easier.
y = x^2 -1
Solve for x
x= sqrt (y+1)
Now switch the variables
y = sqrt (x+1)
That is the inverse function of f(x). That's all there is to it!
Proof: If I take sqrt(x+1), square it, and subtract 1, what do I end up with? x. Therefore applying f(x) to f^-1(x) gives me back x.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Calculus - Find the sum and difference functions f + g and f – g for the ...
- inverse - find f^-1 (x). (this is asking me to find the inverse) f(x) = -(x-2)^2...
- Algebra 2 - Operations with Complex Numbers Simplify. 1. sqrt(-144) 2. sqrt(-64x...
- MATH - I need to simply this equation, but I got stuck. h/(4-sqrt(16+h)) = y ...
- Math - f(x)= 4-x^2 and g(x)= sqrt (x) find the implied domain of fg(x) fg(x)= f(...
- Math - How do i find the domain and range of these functions? f(x)=x+1 f(x)=2/x ...
- maths - let f(x,y)=sqrt (1-x^2-y^2) where x^2+y^2 <1. (positive sqrt) a.) ...
- calculus - Find the equation of the line tangent to the graph of the given ...
- Advanced Math - Can someone check these for me? Please? Use half-angle identity ...
- college algebra - For the given functions f and g find the following and state ...